Here in Arcadia, we have a passion for service to our community and a belief that our residents and customers are a priority. We believe that our value lies in what we give and our employees are our greatest asset.
Our team takes pride in the work we do, and will support each other to meet standards of quality that we have set for ourselves. As the Water Production Technician, you will get to showcase your skills and abilities in the water production field. This position will allow you to be part of a team of individuals that relies on each other for insight and creative thinking to accomplish daily work tasks and assignments. Integrity is a must as well as loyalty and dependability to provide the City of Arcadia with one of our most precious resources, water.
If you want to join a team that inspires you to "Go Above and Beyond", we invite your application!
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 3/10/20 BY 5:30 PM
INTERVIEWS: TENTATIVELY SCHEDULED WEEK OF MARCH 23, 2020
- Make routine daily inspections of all water production and storage facilities; identify any improper functioning of equipment or operations.
- Install, clean, adjust, overhaul, re-build, paint, and operate valves; troubleshoot valves when problems occur within the water distribution system.
- Inspect reservoirs, water levels, and telemetry; make adjustments to maintain proper water levels.
- Operate, test, maintain, and repair pumps, telemetry system, SCADA system, chlorinating equipment, valves, meters, gauges, and electrical and gas water-pumping equipment.
- Prepare detailed reports of performance and condition of pumping facilities.
- Perform the chlorinating and testing of pipelines and reservoirs; check chlorine dosage rates; weigh cylinders; record daily usage.
- Perform daily check of chlorine residuals in reservoirs; records results.
- Make emergency changes of equipment in the event of mechanical failures.
- Take samples from wells, reservoirs and private property outlets for chemical analysis and Health Department testing.
- Maintain and repair reservoirs and pumping facilities.
- Read and work from maps, blueprints, and sketches.
- Observe safety precautions regarding traffic control, confined space entry, and power equipment operation.
- Respond to customer complaints.
- Maintain records and logs; keep charts updated on remote and local recorders; complete reports as necessary.
- Read watt-hour meters, water production meters, and other devices.
- Perform general maintenance and cleanup duties around water facilities.
- Operate a variety of vehicles, tools, and equipment used in the operation and maintenance of water distribution systems.
One year of experience in performing general construction or mechanical equipment maintenance work which involved the use of hand and power tools and the operation of light trucks.
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
License or Certificate:
Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid class C driver's license with a hazardous material endorsement.
Possession of a Water Treatment Operator Certificate, Grade II, issued by the State of California Department of Health Services.Supplemental Information
Essential duties require the following physical skills and work environment:
Ability to sit, stand, walk, kneel, crouch, stoop, squat, crawl, twist, climb, push, pull, and lift 100 lbs., distinguish color, and wear protective apparel; exposure to cold, heat, noise, outdoors, vibration, confining work space, chemicals, explosive materials, mechanical hazards, electrical hazards, and traffic hazards; ability to travel to different sites and locations; availability for on-call, stand-by, and emergency call.
A fully completed online application is required to be submitted. Incomplete, late, emailed, faxed and hard copy applications are not accepted. Resumes are not considered in lieu of the required online employment application. All certificates, resumes, cover letters, and other documents requested by the City for the position advertised, must be uploaded with your online application.
The Selection Process:
All applications will be reviewed and evaluated. Those candidates who are determined to be best qualified based upon the information presented on the application materials will be invited to continue in the selection process whichmayinclude a qualifying written or performance evaluation and will include an interview weighted 100%. The City reserves the right to limit the number of interviews conducted. Candidates will be notified via e-mail or telephone if they qualify to move to the next step in the selection process. The interview score will determine ranking on the eligibility list and will remain in effect for one year.
Pre-employment background and medical examinations are additional requirements for hire. Failure on any part of the selection process will result in removal from the recruitment process.Please Note:If you have a disability that may require an accommodation in the selection process, please notify Human Resources in writing when you submit your application.