Open Until Filled
The Wyoming Department of Transportation (WYDOT) is now seeking a full-time Construction and Field Survey Technician located in Douglas, Wyoming.
Under limited supervision, the Construction and Field Survey Technician will perform various duties whichinclude surveys and inspections on preliminary designs and construction projects; and conduct material testing in order to provide a safe, high quality, and efficient transportation system for the Stateof Wyoming.
Human Resource Contact: 307-473-3243
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed in the job level.
- Organize project records.
- Perform clerical duties as needed.
- Review and check project documentation.
- Inspect construction projects.
- Prepare, review, maintain and file construction project records, estimates and reports.
- Perform topographic surveys.
- Conduct aggregate gradation testing, density testing for earthwork and surfacing, and concrete testing.
- Perform survey tasks such as drive stakes, hubs, hold tapes, hold rod, and instrument operation.
- Perform minor surveying computations such as slopes, areas, volumes, cuts and fills, etc.
- Inspect pipe backfill and fill construction.
- Inspect paving operation to ensure compliance with plans and specifications.
- Perform minor engineering computations such as areas, volumes, material spread rates, etc.
- Test, sample and report materials proposed to be used in construction projects.
- Review and learn test methods, manuals, and procedures.
- Perform basic engineering calculations.
- Perform testing and sampling on bridges and roadways for analysis.
- Review and learn traffic control methods, manuals, and procedures.
- Set up, maintain, and remove a safe traffic control plan under live traffic conditions.
- Maintain traffic control devices in the field; performs traffic control duties.
- Assist in the investigation of existing roadways for forensic study.
- Assist in gathering samples, providing a safe working zone, flagging, etc.
- Ensure proper equipment and supplies are loaded and in good working condition.
- Perform more complex lab tests of samples, and documents results for QA/QC purposes.
- Serve as a technical resource for other employees; attends and completes all designated training sessions in order to maintain required certifications, performs inspections.
- Communicate both internally and externally regarding project information and courses of action/consequences, on smaller projects.
- Oversee smaller projects and/or components of larger projects.
- Assist in permitting processes to obtain water, gravel, plant site, and surveying agreements and aids in the renewal and file maintenance of these agreements.
**WYDOTPortland Cement Concrete Certification
- Knowledge of materials testing. Surveying methods and equipment operation.
- Knowledge of construction inspection which includes interpretation of plans and specification.
- Knowledge of documentation of project records.
- Knowledge of communication with supervisors and contractors.
- Knowledge of working towards a leadership role.
- Knowledge of working outdoors and a variety of weather conditions.
- Knowledge of material testing, ability to perform complicated computer calculations.
- Knowledge of survey methods & ability to apply such as uploading & downloading of survey files.
- Knowledge of computers and calculators.
- Knowledge of surveying.
- Knowledge of contract time, administration & contract changes.
- Knowledge of engineering computations/formulas.
- Knowledge of core drilling equipment, pneumatic & electric jackhammers and hand tools.
- Potentially exposed to hazardous waste and biological waste.
- Working around high speed traffic and heavy construction equipment.
- Work outdoors in a variety of inclement weather conditions to include heat, cold, snow and wet.
- Physical Ability: Bending, stooping and lifting up to fifty pounds; safely lift and move necessary materials from one point to another; ability to stand for long periods of time.
- FLSA: Non-exempt
- All new hires or rehires starting in a non-exempt position on or after January 1, 2018 are required to be paid hourly.
- E-Verify: WYDOT uses E-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities.
045-Department of Transportation - WYDOT - Chief Engineer - District Construction
To learn more about h Wyoming Department of Transpiration, please visit us at: www.dot.state.wy.us/home.html
Click here to view the State of Wyoming Classification and Pay Structure.
Class Specifications are subject to change, please refer to the A & I HRD Website to ensure that you have the most recent version.
There are many benefits to living and working in Wyoming. Beautiful country with wide open spaces and clean air, great recreational opportunities, and no State income tax to mention a few! In addition, the State of Wyoming offers State employees a very generous benefit package.Please click herefor more information on the State of Wyoming employee benefits*.
For additional information on living in the state of Wyoming please click here.
- High School Diploma/GED/or Equivalent
- Some college Coursework, No Degree Received
- Associate's Degree
- Associate's Degree and additional coursework
- Bachelor's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree and additional coursework
- Master's Degree
- Master's Degree and additional coursework
- Doctorate Degree
- Doctorate Degree and additional coursework
- None of the Above
- 45+ Quarter hours/30+ Semester hours
- 90+ Quarter hours/60+ Semester hours
- 136+ Quarter hours/91+ Semester hours
- 180+ Quarter hours/120+ Semester hours
- 225+ Quarter hours/150+Semester hours
- No relevant experience, but willing to learn.
- Less than two years of relevant experience.
- Two (2) to four (4) years of relevant experience.
- More than four (4) years of relevant experience.
- I am not a veteran
- Current State Employee
- Veteran - DD214 Attached
- Disabled Veteran (10% or more) - DD214 and Veteran's Disability Determination Attached
- Surviving Spouse of a Deceased Veteran - DD214 and proof of Survivor Benefit Attached
- None of the above
* Required Question