Supports payroll processing and serves as City Controller's quality control to ensure accuracy of input and disbursement.Essential Functions
1. Coordinates all aspects of payroll for an assigned group of departments by responding to inquiries about payroll functions and processing, and by entering transactions for these employees, such as payroll adjustments, direct deposit service initiation and termination, payroll deductions, and final pay for terminations and retirements.
2. Examines documents submitted by human resources payroll staff for completeness, accuracy, reasonability, and timeliness of personnel and payroll data in compliance with city rules and regulations and state and federal laws.
3. Communicates internally with human resources payroll staff and externally with outside agencies such as the Internal Revenue Service and the Texas Attorney General's Office to solve problems and to exchange information about employees, vendor payments, and/or deductions.
4. Calculates and reconciles data from various payroll reports, prepares and processes disbursement documents such as payment and journal vouchers to transfer funds deducted from employees' pay to the appropriate recipients (i.e. child support agencies, Internal Revenue Service, student loan agencies).
5. Prepares and distributes, lump sum payments, car allowances, and other manual payments as needed.
6. Performs a variety of clerical duties such as checking records for errors, calculating balances, completing forms, preparing vouchers and payments, verifying data, entering payroll corrections.
7. Operates a wide range of office equipment and software (computer, typewriter, fax, copier and calculator) to facilitate effective work flow.
8. Maintains filing systems including establishing, updating, purging, and indexing to provide organization and retrieval of information.
9. Uses judgment and decision-making skills in handling tasks such as selecting appropriate data, extrapolation of information, and applying procedural guidelines to complete new projects.
Working Conditions & Hazards:
Work performed under normal office conditions.Minimum Qualifications
Three years of computerized payroll processing experience, including primary responsibility for payroll transactions, i.e., processing new hires, job title/salary changes, terminations and maintaining direct deposit information. Requires effective oral, written and mathematical skills for calculating/reconciling data, creating reports and researching records. KRONOS and/or LAWSON HRIS experience required. High school or equivalent.Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of payroll policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing, which includes excellent telephone etiquette.
- Ability to perform accurate arithmetic calculations.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with all levels of management, city officials, vendors, other government agencies, other employees and the general public.
- Ability to attend to routine tasks and check paperwork for accuracy.
- Ability to operate office machines including calculator, typewriter, microcomputer, copier, fax machine.
To view the employee benefits offered by the City of Dallas click here.