The Georgia Department of Human Services (DHS) delivers a wide range of human services designed to promote self-sufficiency and well-being for all Georgians. The department is one of the largest agencies in state government with an annual budget of $1.8 billion and nearly 9,000 employees.DHS is comprised of three divisions and 14 Administrative Support Offices.
The Georgia Division of Family and Children Services (DFCS), a division of the Georgia Department of Human Services, investigates reports of child abuse; finds foster and adoptive homes for abused and neglected children; issues SNAP, Medicaid, TANF and childcare assistance to low-income families; helps out-of-work parents get back on their feet; and provides numerous support services and innovative programs to help families in need.
DFCS is working to implement significant child welfare reform through the Blueprint for Change plan, which is the Division's roadmap to improving the lives of the children and families we serve. It is about strong practice, a committed workforce and the authentic internal and external engagement with our staff and the community. The Blueprint for Change has three pillars:
- Practice Model: Adoption of a practice model that will serve as the foundation to keep kids safe and strengthen families; and inclusion of guiding principles, vision and mission statement.
- Robust Workforce Development: Increased staffing and expertise for Child Welfare and Family Independence; research-based caseload ratios; mentoring for supervisors; improved compensation based on proven competency; and development of a career path.
- Constituent Engagement: Creation of advisory boards at state, regional and local levels; organized "roadshows" to engage the public, local stakeholders and media; and build consensus and collaboration among partners, staff, and stakeholders.
DFCSis seeking candidates for the position ofSocial Services Technician 3in Coweta County.This position reports to the Social Services Supervisor and provides a broad range of paraprofessional social services to clients and those families under close supervision.
Pay Grade: F
Under broad supervision, provides a broad range of social services to patients/clients/consumers and their families. Conducts patient/client/consumer intakes, participates in treatment team planning, and performs crisis intervention. Assists in dealing with personal and social problems. May provide supportive counseling to consumers and families and/or serve as a liaison for social services. May perform case management duties. Performs lead worker functions.
Job Summary & Responsibilities:
Under direct supervision, theSocial Services Technician 3:
- Under oversight of Social Services Supervisors and/or Social Services Administrator delivering professional services as directed.
- Provides assistance to other staff members, as needed.
- Provides assistance with the completion of a variety of data elements such as data entry and uploading information into SHINES or other programs as instructed.
- Receives reports of abuse/neglect, assesses information, and submits reports of abuse/neglect to the Social Services Supervisor according to State policies and procedures.
- Maintains confidential records.
- Monitors telephone and computer information systems and respond to Panic Button alerts from Field Operations
- Follows established unit goals with efficientand timely delivery of services..
- Ensures professional growth and development by adhering to scheduled training.
- Performs other professional responsibilities as assigned.
- Excellent oral, written, presentation and interpersonal communication skills.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite and/or standard software applications typically used in a corporate office environment.
- Use customer service skills to include active listening and sound judgment.
- Interview consumers and/or families using established techniques.
- Bachelor's degree in a social services related field from an accredited college or university AND One year of experience in a social services related field
- High school diploma or GED AND Three years of experience in a social services related position
- One year of experience at the lower level Social Svcs Tech 2 (SST011) or position equivalent.
Preference will be given to candidates who, in addition to meeting the minimum qualifications, demonstrate some or all of the following skills/experience:
- High School Diploma and 2 years Child Protective Services Call Center, 911 Call Center, or other Call Center experience.
- Experience with DFCS Social Services Programs to include Child Protective Services and Foster Care with the Division of Family and Children Services.
- Experience/Knowledge of SHINES.
- Strong experience conducting Child Protective Services investigations or general information gathering in a professional Call Center environment.
Current State employees are subject to State Personnel Board rules regarding salary.
The Georgia Department of Human Services (DHS) accepts educational credential recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and/or the US Department of Education (DOE) will be considered. DHS will contact educational institutions to verify degree, diploma, licensure, etc.
Criminal Background Checks/Applicant Privacy Rights
All applicants may be subject to a drug screen,a motor vehicle report checkandmay be required to submit fingerprints to check for the existence of criminal history information through the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Applicants have the right to challenge the contents of any criminal history record obtained for the purpose of employment with DHS. For an explanation of these rights, please read, "Applicant Privacy Rights" at:http://gbi.georgia.gov/sites/gbi.georgia.gov/files/related_files/document/ApplicantPrivacyRights.pdf(Download PDF reader)
NON-CRIMINAL JUSTICE APPLICANT'S PRIVACY RIGHTS
NON-CRIMINAL JUSTICE APPLICANT'S PRIVACY RIGHTS As an applicant that is the subject of a Georgia only or a Georgia and Federal Bureau of Investigation
DHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of DHS to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information on application status by phone or e-mail. All qualified applicants will be considered, but may not necessarily receive an interview. Selected applicants will be contacted by the hiring agency for next steps in the selection process. Applicants who are not selected will not receive notification.
This position is subject to close at any time once a satisfactory applicant pool has been identified.
In addition to a competitive salary, DHS offers a generous benefits package, which includes employee retirement plan; paid holidays annually; vacation and sick leave; health, dental, vision, legal, disability, accidental death and dismemberment, health and child care spending account. Visithttp://team.georgia.gov/for more information.
Health, dental, vision, legal, disability, accidental death and dismemberment, healthcare and childcare spending accounts, and life insurance plans are available.
Health Benefits: 1-800-610-1863State Health Benefit Plan
Flexible Benefits:1-877-342-7339GA Breeze Portal
State employees participate in the Employee's Retirement System. Contributions are based on a percentage of salary and service date entry
Employee Retirement System: 1-800-805-4609ERS Website
Tax shelter plans are available that enable employees to provide for greater retirement security. Fund programs are available in both 457(k) and 401(k) plans.
Peach State Reserves: 1-877-342-7339ERS / Peach State Reserves
Employees are eligible to become members of theAtlanta Postal Credit UnionandGeorgia United Credit Union
- Doctorate Degree
- Master's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Associate's Degree
- Some College/Tech
- High School Diploma
- Less than 1 Year
- 1+ Years
- 2+ Years
- 3+ Years
- More than 4 Years
- Less than 1 Year
- 1+ Years
- 2+ Years
- 3+ Years
- More than 4 Years
* Required Question