The City of Tigard's Public Works Department (Green Infrastructure Division) is currently seeking a qualified Senior Utility Worker to join their team.
The City's core values include Respect and Care, Do the Right Thing, and Get It Done. As part of our team, you will help our organization live those values in all aspects of the workplace and our city's services. Tigard has adopted a strategic plan to be a morewalkable city in the Pacific Northwest where people of all ages and abilities live healthy and interconnected lives.
The Public Works Department plays a key role in implementing this vision through infrastructure, hard and soft trails, connecting sidewalks along with parks and recreationprojects to make our community more accessible and connected.
Please review the Senior Utility Worker classification for additional details about the job.Examples of Duties
- Journeyman equipment operator (track hoe and backhoe)
- Must be able to read, understand and implement construction drawings.
- Must be able to shoot and pull grade.
- Tree and shrub pruning, grass mowing, line trimming, weed pulling.
- Planting native grasses, shrubs and trees in Water Quality Facilities.
- Invasive species removal both manually and mechanical (spraying)
- Work planning.
- Irrigation system trouble-shooting and maintenance.
- Provides technical and functional direction to assigned utility staff.
- Reviews and controls quality of work; assists in selection and in completing employee evaluations.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Any combination of training and experience, which would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
- Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth (12th) gradeAND
- Four (4) years of experience of construction, maintenance or repair experience in streets and traffic, parks, underground utilities, general construction or facilities maintenance.
License and Certificates:
- Possession of a valid class A driver's license with the appropriate endorsements and satisfactory driving record.
- Standard First Aid Certificate issued by the American Red Cross.
- CPR Certification.
Union Representation: SEIU
The successful candidate will pass a physical capacities test designed to evaluate ability to perform the essential physical functions of the job.
How to apply: Please apply online. We do not accept applications that are emailed. Applications must be received by the Human Resources Division by closing time/date.
IMPORTANT (Please read): In lieu of resumes and cover letters, The City of Tigard evaluates an applicant's work history and responses to supplemental questions. Please complete the application and answer the supplemental questions thoroughly to ensure our subject matter experts can appropriately evaluate your experience.
ATTENTION VETERANS: Please upload your DD214/Separation documentation.
In addition to being a great place to work, the City of Tigard offers competitiveemployee benefits for full-time and part-time employees working 20 or more hours per week:
Generous retirement plan
Paid vacation and sick leave
10 paid holidays plus 20 additional hours of floating holiday time
Life and disability insurance
Universal transit pass throughTriMet
This job classification is represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), OPEULocal 503
Click here for more detailed benefits information.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Associate's Degree
- Associate's Degree and additional coursework
- Bachelor's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree and additional coursework
- Master's Degree or higher
- less than 1 year
- 1-3 years
- 3-4 years
- 4 or more years
* Required Question