The current vacancy is in the Public Works Department and is located at the City Corporate Yard.
The Secretary is responsible for performing a variety of complex and confidential clerical and secretarial duties for the department, directly supporting the Deputy Director who oversees all field operations (i.e., street and park maintenance, fleet services, facilities, water operations and related functions).
Direct supervision is provided by the Deputy Director. Responsibilities may include direct or indirect supervision of subordinate clerical positions.
This position will be required to work non-traditional hours including nights, early mornings, weekends, and holidays based on special events, community meetings, and commission meetings.
The schedule for this position is Monday through Thursday, 6:00 am ? 4:30 pm. Candidates who are successful in this recruitment must be able to work this schedule, no exceptions.
This recruitment will be utilized to establish an eligibility list that may be used to fill other current or future vacancies in this classification throughout the City.
This recruitment will close after the first 100 online applications have been received or by January 22, 2019.Essential Duties
The ideal candidate will have the ability to perform the following essential functions:
- Compose routine correspondence not requiring the department head or administrator's personal attention.
- Act as a receptionist, screen calls and visitors and refer inquiries as appropriate; respond to complaints and for information regarding the intent of instruction, precedents andregulations; respond to resident requests for service and provide follow-up status information as required.
- Prepare comprehensive reports, assist in compiling information required for annual budget requests, and recommend expenditure requests for designated accounts.
- Prepare purchase requisitions and process accordingly.
- Review, code and ensure the accuracy of all invoices submitted for payment per the City's accounts payable procedures.
- Recommend organization or procedural changes affecting clerical activities.
- Perform full-range of routine and complex personnel, budget, payroll, and purchasing duties.
- Utilize the City's electronic work order application to process and track work orders and update their status
- Research, compile, and analyze data for special projects and special reports.
- Make appointments and arrange travel, conferences and meetings for management.
- May serve as secretary to a board or commission, preparing the agenda, assembling background materials, and taking minutes of the meetings.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Modern office methods, procedures, and equipment and business letter writing.
- Organization, procedures, and operating details of the department, division, or office to which assigned.
- Principals of supervision, training, and performance evaluation.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Work cooperatively with other departments and outside agencies.
- Interpret and apply departmental policies and rules.
- Type at a speed of 45 net word per minute.
- Take dictation or transcribe from a dictating machine at a speed necessary for adequate job performance.
- Work independently in absence of supervision.
- Analyze situations carefully and adopt affective courses of action.
- Compile and maintain complex and extensive records and prepare reports.
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
- Supervise, train, and evaluate subordinates.
Experience and Education:
Any combination of experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge and abilities that would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain knowledge would be:
- Two years of increasingly responsible clerical experience, finance and account experience, and word and excel experienceincluding one year of experience comparable to that of an Administrative Clerk in the City of Pico Rivera.
- Equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade including or supplemented by specialized clerical courses.
- A valid Class C California Driver's license throughout the course of employment.
Written Exam - Qualifying
Oral Interview ? 100%
Additional Information Regarding the Position:
This recruitment will close on 1/22/2019 or after the first 100 online applications have been received. A fully completed City application and supplemental questionnaire will be rated for those qualifications most needed to perform the duties of the job. The more qualified candidates will be referred to the next step. This is a competitive process; therefore, be thorough in your responses.
For more information regarding this recruitment, please email Shelley Glasman at [email protected]
The City of Pico Rivera is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Retirement:Employees are covered under the State of California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS) at the 2% at 60 formula for currentCalPERSmembers and 2% at 62 for newCalPERSmembers. New employees to CalPERSpay 6.25% of the employees' portion toCalPERS. Current CalPERS (Tier II) pay 7% of employee's portion to CalPERS.
Paid Vacation:88 hours after one year; 128 hours after 5 years, 168 hours after 10 years, and 208 hours after 20 more years of service
Sick Leave:81 hours per year with the employee having the option to accumulate a maximum of 800 hours or receive pay each July for unused portion accumulated in the preceding fiscal year.
Holidays- The City observes eleven (11)holidays.
Insurance:The City provides health benefits for all full time employees. Under a flexible benefits program, each employee is allocated a specified monthly dollar amount to use for selecting benefits. This is usually sufficient to cover purchase of the following: Medical plan or Cash Back Incentive; dental, vision, life and disability insurance plans.
Credit Union:Membership is available.
Agency Shop: The City of Pico Rivera has an Agency Shop agreement with Service Employes International Union (SEIU) Local 721. Payment of union dues to SEIU is a condition of employment. Membership is optional.
The City of Pico Rivera promotes a drug-free work environment. Appointments are made after satisfactory results are received from a post-offer physical and drug screen, and Department of Justice background check.
* Required Question