Culver City is a Charter City incorporated in 1917, and is a destination filled with outdoor cafes, unique shops and galleries opening onto pedestrian-friendly boulevards. Culver City has a dedicated staff of approximately 700+ employees with an overall operating budget of over $200 million. The City provides a full range of municipal services including Fire, Police, Community Development, Public Works, Parks, Recreation, and Community Services, and Transportation.THE POSITION
Under general direction, this management position directs, supervises and coordinates revenue and budget functions within the Finance Department including administration of local taxes, billing, collections and budgetary work; and provides highly responsible and complex administrative support to the Finance Manager.
Some of the duties of this position includes:
- Assumes supervisory responsibility for assigned services and activities of the City's revenue, billing, collections and budget systems.
- Supervises and monitors a variety of revenue sources for the City including business tax, utility users' tax, transient occupancy tax, sales tax, franchise fees, and property taxes.
- Oversees vendors and contracts; ensures contracts are in compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and policies.
- Directs enforcement of provisions of the City's revenue code through ongoing field investigations and audits.
- Maintains a current and thorough working knowledge of State and City laws and procedures regarding municipal revenue sources including business taxes.
- Supervises the processing and researching of permit applications for the Committee on Permits and Licenses to ensure that all details of the event or business activity are identified and copies of any licenses are provided.
- Supervises and participates in the processing of incoming taxicab application packets and oversees their submission to Council.
- Reviews citywide revenues and expenditures and prepares analyses and forecasts; including, but not limited to, the preparation of quarterly, mid-year and year-end reports, as well as participation in the development of a five-year financial forecast. Works with employees to correct deficiencies and implements appropriate discipline procedures.
- Participates in the development and implementation of the financial goals of the City; manages objectives, policies, and priorities for assigned programs towards those goals; recommends and administers policies and procedures
- Contributes to the coordination of overall City efforts by cooperating with other managers and supervisors throughout the City to supply and exchange information relative to the financial performance of the City.
Training and Experience:
Any combination of training and experience that could likely provide the required knowledge, skill and ability would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skill and ability would be:
1) A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in business administration, accounting, economics or a related field.
2) Four (4) years of responsible experience in revenue collection, budgeting, auditing or financial analysis. Experience in governmental revenue collection is desirable.
3) At least one (1) year experience coordinating or providing technical or general supervision to others is required.
The Ideal candidate will have:
- Practices and principles of a revenue and cash management program including utility billing and collections.
- Principles, practices and procedures of governmental fund and cost accounting, budgeting, auditing, financial reporting and administration.
- Principles and practices of effective customer service.
- Principles and practices of budget development, administration and reporting.
- Supervision, training, and performance evaluation.
Skill and Ability to:
- Analyze, interpret, and explain budget and financial policies and procedures.
- Select, supervise, train and evaluate staff.
- Establish and maintain an effective working relationship with employees and the public.
- Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
- Respond in a timely and accurate basis to public inquiries and complaints in a courteous and tactful manner.
- Exercise independent judgment in administering ordinances, policies, and regulations.
- Participate as an active member of the financial "team".
- Work effectively within strict deadlines.
Licenses and Certificates:
Possession of a valid California Class C driver's license is required, if assigned to drive. EXAMINATION PROCEDURES
Applicants must receive a passing score on all of the following examination components in order to be placed on the eligible list. Please note: There is a six (6) month waiting period to re-test; therefore, applicants who have participated in the examination process within the preceding six (6) months will be deferred and will need to re-apply after the six (6) month waiting period.
- WRITTEN EXAMINATION (weighted at 50%): To determine technical knowledge including revenue, cash management, budgeting and financial reporting. (Tentatively scheduled forTuesday, January 14, 2020).
- ORAL INTERVIEW (weighted at 50%): To evaluate training, experience, communication skills and personal qualifications. (Tentatively scheduled for February 4, 2020).
Continuation in the examination process and subsequent placement on the eligible list of a person convicted of a crime depends upon the nature of the conviction and the conduct of the applicant subsequent to the offense. Convictions will be evaluated on a job related basis and will not automatically disqualify someone from further consideration.
The City of Culver City is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employees or applicants on the basis of race, sex, age, disability, veteran status, national origin, religion, political affiliation, or sexual orientation/identification.
Conditions of Employment:
- Background/ Reference Check: Upon a conditional job offer, a live scan finger printing must be completed with acceptable results. Your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice(DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI). Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City. If you are selected as a finalist, you will be contacted to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.Upon hire, employee is subject to further reporting fromDOJ via subsequent arrest notification.
- Pre-placement medical evaluation including drug screen (select positions)
E-Verify: Proof of U.S. citizenship, alien residency or authorization to work in the U.S. will be required at time of appointment.
The City of Culver City offers a comprehensive benefit package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, and vision.
This position is represented by Culver City Management Group (CCMG).
Formore detailedinformationregarding thebenefits associated with this position, please click on the following links:
Welcome to the City of Culver City's Employment Opportunities Page
Culver City Management Group (CCMG) MOU
- High School Diploma
- Associate's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
* Required Question