Job ID: 13642
Agency: Department of Health, Correctional Health, Women's Prison
Salary: $23.58 - $27.31 per hour, depending on experience. Plus $2.50 per hour geographic differential, $1.50 night/$1.50 weekend differential and potential for overtime.
Closing date: 3/12/2020
*** $3,200 Hiring Incentive ***
*** Full state benefits and SDRS retirement (one of the best systems in the USA). ***
Join the field of Correctional Nursing!Correctional health nurses work autonomously to provide health care to an underserved population in a secure environment.Nurses are involved in diverse cares such as chronic care maintenance, acute cares, emergency response, behavioral health needs, long term and geriatric care, drug and alcohol withdrawal, infirmary care and hospice.These are provided in a clinic environment and also includes specialty cares via Tele-health.Nurses are on a block 6-8 week schedule that includes holiday and weekend rotations.Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds and climb up to five flights of stairs.
The South Dakota Department of Health's programs and services help prevent illness and injury, promote healthy places to live, work and play; provide education to help people make good health decisions; prepare for, respond to, and prevent public health threats; and support efforts to enhance quality and accessibility of healthcare. Our services touch the lives of every person in the state of South Dakota.
Please visit our website athttps://doh.sd.gov/corrections/for further information about the Department of Health - Correctional Health.
This announcement may be used to fill one or more positions. This Registered Nurse position provides health care services for the female inmates of the Women's Prison.
- provides on-site medical treatments as needed and makes appropriate referrals;
- provides patient care according to the individual's treatment plan;
- monitors patient's response to prescribed medications and treatments;
- explains prescribed medications and treatments to patients and staff;
- records and charts appropriate medical data;
- completes reports and forms;
- communicates, reports, and follows orders given by physician.
This position is exempt from the Civil Service Act.
Licenses and Certifications:
Must be licensed or be eligible to be licensed as a Registered Nurse (RN) in South Dakota.
Questionnaire:Applicants will be required to answer a series of job-related questions when submitting an application for this job.
Successful applicant(s) will be required to undergo a background investigation. An arrest/conviction record will not necessarily bar employment. Offers of employment are conditional upon successful completion of a drug screening.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
Strong nursing assessment skill, critical thinking skills, initiative, team oriented, and communication skills.
- professional nursing theory and practices;
- recent developments in the field of professional nursing;
- clinical procedures.
- effectively utilize a wide variety of medical supplies and equipment;
- apply general nursing techniques and practices.
- Ability to:
- deal effectively with both patients and staff;
- keep records and charts;
- communicate information clearly and concisely;
- make accurate observations;
- manage day to day activities of a clinic;
- lift up to 50 pounds or more.
Additional Requirements:Please attach a Resume with three professional references (employer or educational).
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9.
The State of South Dakota offers paid employee health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation leave accrual, and medical, dental, vision, and other benefits. For more information visithttps://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
500 East Capitol
Pierre, SD 57501-5070
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Fax: 605.773.4344
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"