This Senior Executive Service (SES) position is located in Region 6, Office of Regional Counsel, Dallas, TX. For more information on this office, visit their website: https://www.epa.gov/aboutepa/epa-region-6-south-central
If selected, you must work at the location stated in this announcement.
Learn more about this agency
The Regional Counsel (RC) provides senior leadership to the Office of Regional Counsel (ORC). The RC serves as principal legal adviser to the Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance (OECA), the Office of General Counsel (OGC), the Regional Administrator, and Regional program managers and, as such, has responsibility for providing legal advice and assistance and policy recommendations on counseling and enforcement matters involving the whole range of environmental issues handled by the EPA.
The RC reports to both the Assistant Administrator (AA) for OECA and to OGC for technical and programmatic oversight and for work prioritization. The activities of the ORC are of major importance within the Region and due to the potentially precedential effects thereof, may be of nationwide importance. These activities may have an unusual influence on the protection and enhancement of the Nation?s environment.
The following duties and responsibilities are to be carried out either by the RC personally or through appropriate staff attorneys:
- Reviewing and resolving the legal questions which arise under all regulations, lawsuits, enforcement actions, executive orders, and other administrative actions involving major federal statutes affecting the Agency programs.
- Providing general legal advice and policy recommendations regarding Regional programs, operations, and activities.
- Providing legal advice and policy recommendations on civil judicial and administrative enforcement matters arising under EPA enforcement programs.
- Providing legal advice and policy recommendations to managers of Agency financial assistance programs.
- Drafting and reviewing final Agency determinations, proposed and final regulations, notices, and such other documents to be published in the Federal Register.
- Supervising and coordinating the Region's participation in defensive and enforcement litigation.
- Representing the Region in its dealings with outside parties.
- Overseeing the Region?s compliance with the Freedom of Information Act, regulations, policies, and Executive Orders.
- Representing the Region as counsel in personnel actions brought against the Agency.
- Serving as the hearing officer in hearing and deciding matters brought before the Agency.
- Communicating and coordinating with the legal representatives of state agencies administering EPA programs within the Region.
- Serving as a liaison between the Region and OECA and OGC.
- As tasked by the General Counsel or the AA for OECA, serving as a national legal expert in one or more major subject matter areas.
- Directing and managing the activities, staff, and resources assigned to the Office.
- Serving as the Region?s Deputy Ethics Official.