The City of Medford has an exciting full-time opportunity with agenerous comprehensive benefit package.
The Public Works Operations Manager performs supervisory and administrative work, planning, organizing, directing, and coordinating an efficient program of maintaining and improving City publicinfrastructure and supporting other City operations. This position supervises staff in the traffic, fleet maintenance, street utility, storm drainage, sewage collection, and administration sections of the Public Works Operations Division and typically reports to the Public Works Director, or his/her designee.
Join Our Team - The City of Medford is a Fantastic Place to Live, Work and Play
**Click hereto view the Benefits Summary
- Medical, vision and dental benefits for employee and family, paid at 100% by the City with the opportunity to buy-up to a lower deductible plan
- Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment insurance ? policy value of $50,000 paid by the City
- Long-term disability insurance provided by the City
- Health Reimbursement Account (HRA-VEBA) contributions provided by the City
- Oregon Public Employee Retirement System (PERS) is 100% fully paid as the City pays both the employer and the employee's (6%) Individual Account Program (IAP) contributions
- Deferred Compensation retirement plan (Section 457 Plan) for employee's retirement planning
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays
- The City has a fully equipped fitness center available 24 hours a day
- The City's Wellness Program promotes physical, social, emotional, intellectual, financial and environmental wellness with various goals and challenges to participate in throughout the year. Employees may qualify for wellness incentives by completing milestones set within the program.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
The anticipated hiring range for this position is $44.54 (first step) to $46.77 or $49.11 (second or third step). Directly related experience and qualifications will be evaluated alongside others who perform work of comparable character as required by Pay Equity Law. Six steps are included in this salary range, allowing opportunity for annual movement through the steps.
ABOUT THE CITY OF MEDFORD
Medford is one of the most beautiful areas of the Pacific Northwest and is located in Jackson County, Oregon. Situated in the heart of the scenic RogueValley, Medford, population 80,378, is the hub of Oregon's fourth-largest metropolitan area. Located along I-5 in southern Oregon,just 20 miles from the California border, Medford is surrounded by breathtaking mountains in a region featuring world-class outdoor recreation opportunities, including Crater Lake National Park and the Oregon Coast. As the largest city between Eugene and Sacramento, Medford is a growing city with a high quality of life, a growing economy and a moderate climate. Typical Job Duties
These duties are a representative example; position assignments may vary depending on the business needs of the department and organization. This position:
- Supervises staff including: assigning work, providing guidance and assistance, preparing performance evaluations, employee development, hiring, disciplinary recommendations, etc.
- Operations and Maintenance, which may include:
- Overseeing the operations and maintenance of streets, sanitary sewers, storm drains, traffic, warehouse, and fleet maintenance.
- Establishing infrastructure maintenance standards, schedules, and programs.
- Providing technical direction and constructive problem solving.
- Coordinating Operations Division work and coordinating with other divisions, departments, and agencies.
- Coordinating budgets to implement operation and maintenance activities.
- Reviewing expenditures; preparing and analyzing work project cost data; preparing long-range budgets, plans, and schedules to ensure operation and maintenance of public works infrastructure at the lowest life-cycle cost.
- Preparing policies, plans and procedures for all operation and maintenance activities.
- Recommending improvements to operations and processes.
- Managing resources effectively including staff, equipment, and materials.
- Managing labor contracts.
- Ensuring division activities conform to Department standards, rules, regulations, and laws.
- Conducting staff meetings, training, performance evaluations, etc.
- Authorizing the purchasing of needed equipment, supplies, and materials.
- Establishing and implementing a public relations program regarding public works activities.
- Responding to citizen inquiries, service requests, citizen complaints, and other matters.
- Five (5)years of increasingly responsible public works or utilities maintenance experience with three years in an administrative supervisory capacity; and
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree in engineering, public or business administration, or related field as deemed necessary, ideal, or required; and/or equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above; and
- Ability to perform on-call, stand-by duty approximately one week per month; and
- Reside within a 30 minute response time of the Medford Service Center; and
- Capable of responding to emergency call-out 24 hours per day.
- Current technical/professional knowledge of complex principles, methods, standards and techniques associated with the scope of work of a recognized profession, such as:
- Accepted methods, techniques, practices, and operations for maintaining streets, sewer, equipment, drainage, traffic signals, and related facilities.
- Possession of licenses and/or certifications associated with the assignment.
- Requires possession of a valid driver's license by date of hire. New employees establishing resident status in the State of Oregon must obtain an Oregon driver's license within 30 days (ORS 807.020 (1)).
- Requires completion of a background investigation to the satisfaction of the City.
To Apply: City of Medford employment application must be completed online via the City's website www.cityofmedford.org by 4:00 p.m. deadline on Monday, February 17, 2020. In order to be considered, pleaseattach aresume and cover letter at the time you submit your application. If you have questions about the job posting, please contact the Human Resources department at (541) 774-2010.
Selection procedures and time lines subject to change. Those selected must be able to provide proof of legal right to work in this country. Hiring will be subject to acriminal historybackground investigation,favorable driving record,and drug screen.
For technical assistance and questions with the application process, please contact Government Jobs at (855) 524-5627.
The City of Medford offers an excellent comprehensive benefit package to all full-time employees.
For more details, click here to be re-directed to the Benefits page of our website. Benefits for this position are in the Management Group section located at the bottom of the page.
- 0 years
- Less than 3 years
- 3-5 years
- 5-9 years
- 10 years
* Required Question