The City of Anaheim is seeking talented Civil Engineering Interns (Administrative Intern II) for the Public Works Department. This year-round internship is an excellent opportunity to gain meaningful engineering work experience. Assignments are available in the Development Services, Traffic Management, Traffic Planning/Engineering, Design Services and Construction Services of the Public Works Department. Candidates must be (or will be by Winter/Spring quarter/semester 2019) enrolled in upper division or graduate level courses in an accredited college or university program with majorcourse work in the area of civil engineering or transportation engineering.
For more information about Public Works, please visit http://www.anaheim.net/229/Public-Works
This is a part-time position usually averaging 20-30 hours per week (Monday to Friday). A minimum number of hours is not guaranteed.Essential Functions
- Perform a variety of entry-level administrative staff duties related to areas such as administrative regulations, policies, processes, procedures, systems, methods, reports, surveys, and forms, while learning the fundamental mission, structure, and operations associated with the assigned department.
- Assist with traffic engineering studies such as field surveys, counts and delay studies.
- Participate in analytic studies by conducting routine research, identifying samples, and assembling and compiling data in well-defined areas related to systems, methods, reports, surveys, and forms.
- Apply basic statistical and management analysis techniques or, with detailed instructions, advanced statistical and management techniques in analyzing data.
- Assist in writing instructions, procedures, guides, and manuals to describe and improve administrative, technological, and operational methods and systems.
- Research problems, discrepancies, and respond to routine inquiries related to the business, technological, and operational activities of the assigned department.
- Effectively utilizes the capabilities and functions of standard office software applications such as data management, spreadsheet, and word processing in completing assigned projects.
- Modify plans in MicroStation and/or AutoCAD.
- Prepare reports, operational documents, and correspondence containing descriptive, analytical, and evaluative content related to business, technological, and operational activities subject to review and editing by higher-level staff members.
- Assist the public and provide exceptional customer service in person, on the phone, and via written communication.
- May assist in updating web site contents and making suggestions on information layout.
- May perform a wide variety of para-professional, technical, and clerical tasks during peak workload periods or in the absence of assigned staff.
- May conduct field work.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
Interns assigned to Anaheim's Traffic Management Center may be required to complete the following task:
- Work in the TMC to operate ITS field devices.
- Analyze and adjust signal timing to manage traffic congestion.
- Assist with traffic engineering studies such as field surveys, counts, and delay studies.
- Assist in collecting data and summarizing reports using Microsoft Office products.
- Assist technicians to troubleshoot field devices as needed.
- Assist engineers to investigate citizen complaints.
Interns assigned to Public Works' Construction Services Division may be assigned the below typical duties:
- Assist staff with many facets of management of active construction projects. As the intern gains experience, they will be assigned tasks of increasing complexity and responsibility to advance their knowledge of construction management, contracts, and engineering practices.
- Assist staff in ensuring construction contract requirements are met. This may include, but not be limited to: checking and processing insurance certificates, checking contractors' licenses and DIR registration, reviewing and preparing progress payments, and other tasks as necessary.
- Perform field work which may consist of observing construction activity, taking site photos, measuring quantities, and assisting Inspection and/or Survey staff with various tasks as needed.
- Prepare agendas and meeting minutes for construction project progress meetings.
- Review plans, specifications, engineering standards, and construction contract provisions.
- Assist in the preparation of reports to management and other agencies.
- Assist in physical/electronic document control and record keeping of construction project documents.
Candidates must be (or will be by Winter/Spring quarter/semester 2019) enrolled in upper division or graduate level courses in an accredited college or university program with major course work in the area of civil engineering, transportation engineering, or construction management.
Demonstrate knowledge of basic theory and principles of organization and management capabilities of standard computer systems, software, and hardware computer software such as word-processing, spreadsheet, database management, MicroStation, and/or AutoCAD, Synchro, C/C++, Photoshop, and desktop publishing. Basic methods and techniques of research and management analysis; elementary statistics; techniques of data collection; fact-finding methods and procedures; proper business English, punctuation, spelling, and grammatical usage; customer service techniques for public contact in person, on the phone, and in written; communications; recordkeeping procedures.
Possess the ability to gather pertinent facts and data, make thorough analyses, and arrive at sound conclusions; apply formulas in computing statistical measures; understand, interpret, and apply pertinent laws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures; effectively utilize standard office software and computer equipment in the performance of duties; provide technical assistance to others; work effectively and cooperatively with employees, and the public; make accurate observations and obtain objective information; learn and effectively utilize specialized computer software and systems related to assigned function; learn the policies, processes, and procedures related to assigned department; work independently and meet deadlines; multi-task and be detail oriented, well organized and a self-starter.
Possess a valid driver's license is required by date of appointment.Supplemental Information
Applications will be accepted untilTuesday, January 22, 2019at5:00PM. Applicants are encouraged to apply early. Applications will not be accepted after this deadline.
The selection process may consist of a minimum of skills examination and oral interview.
The eligibility list established from this recruitment may also be used to fill the current and/or additional vacancies throughout the City.
Candidates mustbe specific and complete in describing their qualifications for this position. Failure to state all pertinent information may leadto elimination from consideration. Stating "See Resume"is not anacceptable substitute for a completed application.
The successful candidate will be required to undergo a reference / background check (to includea conviction record) and pass a post-offer pre-employment medical examination (which will include a drug/alcohol screening). The City of Anaheim utilizes E-Verify and new employees must provide documentation toestablish both identity and work authorization.
Communication regarding your application and/or status will be sent to the email address listed on yourapplication. Please check your email regularly throughout the recruitment process as you will not receive communications by any other method.
No Benefits Available
- Graduate student
- Senior level (e.g. 400 level coursework)
- Junior level (e.g. 300 level coursework)
- Sophomore level (but will be enrolled in junior level coursework in Fall 2017)
- Lower division (Freshman/Sophomore) level (will not be enrolled in junior-level coursework in Fall 2017)
- Not currently enrolled or already graduated
- Development Services (Provide services (grading plans, storm water management plans, ect.) for private and public land development projects
- Traffic Management
- Traffic Planning/Engineering
- Design Services (Public road, sewer and storm drain improvements)
- Construction Services
- No Proficiency
- No Proficiency
- No Proficiency
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Project
- Other Engineering-related software
* Required Question