The Los Angeles VA Health Care System is hiring a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner for the Community Engagement and Reintegration Services (CERS).
The CERS program focuses on a Veteran-centered holistic approach to care starting with outreach on the streets, and continues to care whether or not the Veteran clients are prepared to accept mental health, substance abuse services, and primary care medical services.
Learn more about this agency
As a Pyschiatric Nurse Practitioner for the Community Engagement and Reintegration (CERS) program, you will provide mental health service to Veterans on the street or in shelters with potential follow-up care in the clinic. You will collaborate with a lead physician designee in a team assignment. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Participating in outreach activities that find or identify homeless Veterans.
- Developing innovative care strategies with the Outreach staff that serve to reintegrate the homeless Veteran population.
- Assisting with the design and implementation of delivery systems or programs that facilitate the care of high risk veterans.
- Providing mental health services with skill and sensitivity to Veterans who are homeless, mentally ill, and/or using illicit substances.
- Evaluating Veterans' physical and mental health, family, and social history to identify mental health care needs.
- Ordering and interpreting diagnostic tests.
- Prescribing medications in accordance with scope of practice.
- Maintaining expected work load panel of patients, assuring their continuity of care, health maintenance, and meeting performance measures.
- Driving to see Veterans in the community.
- Completing all relevant clinical reminders and participating in performance and quality improvement activities.
- Using the VA electronic health record to document all patient visits, evaluations, assessments, care plans; and orders, drugs and devices.
- Providing health education to Veterans, individuals, and groups.
- Collaborating with team members to provide continuity of clinical care and implementing a treatment plan.
- Participating in patient, staff, and community education.
- Participating in medical, psychiatric, and/or nursing research and quality improvement.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00am-4:30pm
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Occasional travel - You will be expected to travel for this position in order to see Veterans in the community.