An equal opportunity employer fostering a workforce that embraces and reflects
the rich diversity of Los Angeles County
Principal Executive Assistant
$6497 to $8049 Monthly
must be submitted by:
5:00 P.M. (Pacific)
To apply, you must be a current permanent employee of LACOE by the application deadline.
Under the County Superintendent's administrative direction, coordinates, monitors, and directs a variety of administrative and analytic duties related to the Office of the Superintendent. This position may supervise other secretarial/clerical support staff in the Office of the Superintendent, and may work in a lead capacity in coordinating special events and special projects
The Well Qualified Candidate Will Possess the Following
- County Office of Education operations, structure, policies and procedures
- Structure, bureaucracy, and communications protocols of the California public education system and officials
- Brown Act regulations for public meetings
- Roberts Rules of Order
- Business correspondence formatting
- English grammar, spelling, punctuation, sentence structure, and document composition
- Principles of organizational effectiveness
- Principles of qualitative research
- Desktop office software including word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation applications
- Electronic communications devices and software applications
- Electronic document management systems
- Electronic project management and meeting coordination software applications
- Publication and Internet search techniques
- Decision Making ? Choosing optimal courses of action in a timely manner
- Critical Thinking ? Analytically and logically evaluating information, propositions, andclaims
- Adaptability ? Responding positively to change and modifying behavior as the situation requires
- Attention to Detail ? Focusing on the details of work content, work steps, and final work products
- Handling Stress ? Maintaining emotional stability and self-control under pressure, challenge, or adversity
- Innovation ? Imagining and devising new and better ways of doing things
- Self-Management ? Showing personal organization, self-discipline, and dependability
- Informing ? Proactively obtaining and sharing information
- Oral Communication ? Engaging effectively in dialogue
- Customer Focus ? Attending to the needs and expectation of customers
- Handling Conflict ? Managing interpersonally strained situations
- Professional Impact ? Presenting self as a positive representative of the organization
- Relationship Building ? Establishing rapport and maintaining mutually productive relationships
- Teamwork ? Collaborating with others to achieve shared goals
- Political & Organizational Savvy ? Working skillfully with politics, procedures, and protocols across organizational levels and boundaries
Required Education and Experience
- Education: Bachelor's degree in education, business, public administration, communications or other field related to the knowledge and duties of the classification
Experience: Five years of experience as a staff, administrative, or personal assistant for a superintendent, senior executive, or cabinet member of a school district or County Office of Education.
Additional Requirements: This classification works on the Superintendent's schedule which may include early mornings, evenings, weekends, and on-call hours. A valid California driver's license and the availability of private transportation or the ability to obtain transportation between work sites may be required.
- Candidates who meet the minimum requirements above, will be invited to participate in an examination that may consist of a scored evaluation of Training and Experience. The resulting elibibility will be unranked per Education Code Section 45272 (b) and is designated as a six-month eligibility list.
- For information about the examination process you may send an e-mail to
Dr. Frank Olmos at [email protected]
For general inquiries please call 562.803.8360 (Mon- Fri 8:00 am - 5:00 pm)
For complete application information, please go to https://www.lacoe.edu/PersonnelCommission.aspx
LACOE Personnel Commission,9300 Imperial Hwy, EC-Annex, Downey, CA 90242
- Minimum qualifications must be met by the close of filing date. For complete application information, please go to https://www.lacoe.edu/PersonnelCommission.aspx. For additional information on our selection procedures, please visit Exam Preparation on our website. Selection and promotion are based on a competitive examination process. Candidates who pass all exam parts are ranked according to overall exam score and placed on an eligibility (hiring) list. Vacant positions are filled from the top three ranks. Eligibility lasts for 12 months; however, additional recruitment may occur under a separate bulletin with additional candidates being merged onto the eligibility list. Some positions that involve public contact may require bilingual proficiency for which selective certification may apply (Education Code 45277.5). In addition, the eligibility list resulting from this examination may be used to fill vacancies in related job classifications for which no eligibility list exists (Education Code 45272). Veterans' Credit may be awarded for entry jobs.
Reasonable accommodations in completing an application and testing are available to individuals with disabilities.If you would like to request an accommodation, please call 562.803.8360 as early as possible.
This examination is authorized as Promotional for LACOE employees only.
Recruitment ID: 19-554
This announcement does not constitute an implied contract. Any part of this announcement is subject to change.
Based on full-time assignment:
Although new employees usually begin at the first salary step, advanced salary step placement may be requested
24 vacation days per year
14 paid holidays per year
12 paid sick days annually
Insurance includes health, medical, dental, vision and group life
Retirement CALPERS combined with Social Security, and pre-tax retirement savings account options
* Required Question