The City of Alexandria is located in northern Virginia and is bordered by the District of Columbia (Potomac River), Arlington and Fairfax counties. With a population of approximately 150,000 and a land area of 15.75 square miles, Alexandria is the seventh largest city in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Alexandria has a charming waterfront and is a unique and historic place to live and work. About one-quarter square miles in the city have been designated as a national or local historic district. We proudly embrace our rich history and seize the endless opportunities that lie ahead. If you are interested in working for the vibrant City of Alexandria, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Administrative Support III position.
The Administrative Support III is the first point of contact for clients and visitors who check-in at the front desk or call by phone. This position requires the exercise of good judgment in the application of prescribed procedures and methods to routine matters, attention to minute detail and extreme punctuality. The work may be performed under close or general supervision by an immediate supervisor.
What You Should Bring
The ideal candidate should possess knowledge of office terminology, procedures and equipment and basic arithmetic and English; skilled in communicating courteously and effectively, both verbally and in writing with a diverse public; ability to follow complex, verbal and written directions; ability to maintain complex-clerical records and prepare reports from such records; and the ability to make decisions in accordance with laws, ordinances, regulations and established procedures.
- Receives the public, answers their questions, and notifies staff of client arrivals;
- Notifies Emergency Services staff of walk-in consumers who may need immediate help;
- Answers the main and emergency phone lines, screens and directs incoming calls to the appropriate person;
- Using scheduling software, schedules/ reschedules/cancels/confirms doctor appointments for consumers;
- Maintains appointment list of consumers seen bi-weekly and monthly;
- Prepares service tickets for the next business day;
- Resolves daily service tickets using Credible Scheduler;
- Updates client's contact information in the system when there is a change;
- Collects payments from consumers, enters payments in the system, and provides a receipt;
- Calls consumers two days before their scheduled doctor's appointment to remind them of their appointment;
- Mails appointment notification to consumers;
- Updates contact list of frequently used numbers at the front desk;
- Works cooperatively with the evening shift front desk Secretary and Medical Director to address and resolve scheduling problems;
- Protects confidential material, keeping it out of eyesight of consumers or unauthorized staff;
- Stays abreast of any changes in front desk procedures and respond accordingly;
- Provides feedback to supervisor on any problems, trends, or ideas to improve front desk operations;
- Performs related work as required by supervisor.
About the Department
The Center for Adult Services (CAS) provides programs and services in Aging; Adult Protective Services; Clinical & Emergency Services; and Community & Residential Support Services for seniors and for persons with mental illness, intellectual disabilities and substance use disorders. CAS provides compassionate and effective person-centered services based on best practices. Our teams support self-determination, safety and recovery for Alexandria residents affected by abuse, neglect, mental illness, intellectual disabilities and substance abuse disorders. Minimum & Additional Requirements
High School Diploma or GED; three years of responsible clerical experience, including one year of experience at the level of Administrative Support II; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.Preferred Qualifications
Two-year college degree; At least one year of experience in a capacity working around persons with mental disabilities. Experience in communicating courteously and effectively, both verbally and in writing, with a diverse public; and ability to follow complex, verbal and written directions and execute complex appointment scheduling and maintain records.Notes
This position will close on the above mentioned date or once 75 applications are received, whichever comes first.
This position requires the successful completion of pre-employment background checks including but not limited to: Criminal Records Check; VA State Child Abuse/Neglect Registry; Medicare/Medicaid Fraud Database; education/certifications; Must possess a valid driver's license.
The work hours for this position are Monday ? Wednesday, 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., Thursday 11-5 (18 hours weekly); the schedule may vary. As an Essential Employee, staff will be expected to be at work during weekends, holidays, or inclement weather if they have been scheduled.
We are proud to welcome you to explore the City of Alexandria's excellent benefits and programs!
Click here to learn more about Employee Benefits
Click here to learn more about the City's Employee Development Program
The benefits referenced on this site, may be changed from time to time without notice. For further information, please contact the Benefits and Records Division of the Human Resources Department at 703.746.3785.
* Required Question