This recruitment is for a position that will work in both California City and Tehachapi. Candidates must indicate their willingness to work in California City and Tehachapi, or their application will be rejected.CandidatesMUSTbe willing to travel to both of these locations.
Under direct supervision, to perform a wide variety of clerical support activities of average difficulty and complexity requiring previous clerical experience. Incumbents might perform activities related to: preparing routine reports; collecting money and preparing deposits; providing customer service and resolving customers' problems; conducting basic research; preparing minutes; and, proofreading, editing, and updating a variety of documents.
This is the second level of the office services series. The Office Services Technician is distinguished from the Office Services Assistant by its wide variety of clerical support activities requiring previous clerical experience. Incumbents are expected to apply a moderate amount of initiative and independent judgment to perform duties within standardized and established policies. Depending upon assignment, incumbents may be required to develop a moderate understanding of technical subject matter unique to the work area. The Office Services Technician is distinguished from the Office Services Specialist, which performs specialized support activities requiring knowledge and experience in the area of assignment.Essential Functions
- Responds to requests for information from the general public, other internal departments, and employees; researches and resolves discrepancies with information.
- Performs various clerical duties, utilizing standard office equipment, to include: screening incoming calls; taking and transmitting messages; distributing mail; making photocopies; typing; and, word processing.
- Prepares routine documents and information by typing, performing data entry or word processing; compiles data for routine reports.
- Receives, sorts, and distributes a variety of correspondence, records, and information to appropriate personnel and the general public.
- Processes a variety of forms and paperwork, using established procedures; receives monies from customers; prepares and disseminates receipts to appropriate individuals; prepares related bank deposits.
- Files documents alphabetically, numerically, or by other prescribed method; maintains departmental records; coordinates records retention activities for assigned department.
- Prepares meeting agendas; assembles agenda packets; attends meetings and takes minutes; distributes meeting minutes to appropriate individuals.
- Proofreads, edits, and updates a variety of documents.
- Monitors and maintains office inventory and supply levels.
- Performs other duties of similar nature or level as required.
**Certification of Typing/Keyboarding speed of 45 net words per minute.
Some Positions May Require:
- Possession of a Valid California Driver's License.
- Certification of Transcription speed of 45 net words per minute
- Proficiency in the use of word processing software, such as Microsoft Word or Word Perfect.
Skill in: preparing a variety of reports; prioritizing work; performing multiple tasks simultaneously; entering information into a database; maintaining various records and files; preparing meeting agendas and minutes; using computers and related software applications; performing mathematical calculations; processing forms using established guidelines; providing customer service; filing; keyboarding; using standard office equipment; and, communicating both orally and in writing sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
A background check may be conducted for this classification.
All Kern County employees are designated "Disaster Service Workers" through state and local laws (CA Government Code Sec. 3100-3109 and Ordinance Code Title 2-Administration, Ch. 2.66 Emergency Services). As Disaster Service Workers, all County employees are expected to remain at work, or to report for work as soon as practicable, following a significant emergency or disaster.
Bilingual (English/Spanish) candidates are encouraged to apply. Applicants who wish to be considered for bilingual employment must attach a copy of their Bilingual Certificatepreviously issued by the Kern County Personnel Department or currently by Bakersfield College. Employees who occupy positions designated as bilingual are paid dependent upon their required level of proficiency. For information regarding bilingual (English/Spanish) certificates, go to the Human Resources Division's website athttps://www.bakersfieldcollege.edu/cte/bilingual-testing
Admittance to the examinationwill require a Government issued photograph identification. Applicants who are unable to present proper identification must make arrangements with the Human Resources Division prior to the test date.
* Required Question