Operates various light motorized equipment and vehicles as part of the City's streets maintenance program.Position requires occasional work beyond normal business hours, extended hours, nights and weekends. May be subject to emergency call-out.Regular attendance is an essential function of this job to ensure continuity of services. Work is performed outside with exposure to all weather conditions; exposure to noise, fumes, dust, dirt and vibrations; safety equipment includes safety shoes and ear plugs. Position requires heavy physical work; ability to lift and carry items weighing up to 100 pounds; bending, stooping, climbing, crouching, kneeling, squatting and reaching above shoulder level; visual acuity sufficient to perform essential job functions.
Position is subject to drug testing in accordance with applicable State and Federal regulations and City of Las Cruces policies. Release of Information Form (49 CFR PART 40) required.
FIRST CONSIDERATION WILL BE GIVEN TOCURRENT CITY OF LAS CRUCES EMPLOYEES WHOMEETTHEMINIMUMREQUIREMENTS
Meeting or exceeding the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an invitation to participate in the process.
Full-time, regular; non-exempt; union representedposition.Duties and Responsibilities
- Operates a street sweeper to clean streets on a scheduled route; responds to sweep requests from patch crews, road crews, utility crews and law enforcement.
- Operates trucks, front end loaders and backhoes to construct, repair and maintain roads, properties and structures, in accordance with all safety regulations and procedures.
- Transports light mobile equipment, materials and operate equipment at the job site; repairs roadways, washouts; operates equipment for road construction.
- Determines quantities for concrete projects; coordinates ordering of materials to the work site; works with concrete crews to prepare, place and finish concrete surfaces on roads, walkways, curb and gutters.
- Performs the cleaning of the mainline drainage system.
- Operates water trucks to transport water to work sites;
- Repairs utility cuts or potholes; opens cuts in roadways.
- Cleans out debris and silt from channels, irrigation ditches and storm drain runoff; removes heavy silt debris from sidewalks, ramps, radius and streets; back fills wash outs.
- Operates sand and salt spreader equipment; picks up hot mix or asphalt.
- Picks up and disposes of large heavy debris.
- Inspects, cleans and performs routine maintenance work on vehicles and light equipment; identifies and reports mechanical problems requiring additional repair; performs preventive maintenance and minor repairs on equipment.
- Performs minor repairs and maintenance of silt and chain link fencing, guard rails, wood bollards, ponds and drainage areas.
- Participates in erosion and flood control work projects.
- Sets up traffic control devices; follows safety regulations on all work zone and flagging sites, including placing barricades and cones.
- Completes log of work activities.
- May operate street-drainage cleaning equipment as necessary.
No specific educational requirement. Two years of experience operating light construction equipment. Position may also require: Experience operating light equipment used in concrete construction and concrete finishing; some experience in a lead worker position. Position may prefer: Experience in drains and storm water mainline maintenance. A combination of education, experience, and training may be applied in accordance with City of Las Cruces policy.
Valid Class B commercial driver's license is required. Tanker endorsement certification must be obtained within three months of hire. Position requires an acceptable driving record in accordance with City of Las Cruces policies.Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
General knowledge of: Operation and maintenance requirements of light motorized equipment and vehicles commonly used in construction work; occupational hazards and applicable safety rules and precautions involved in equipment operation; public works construction trades.
Ability to: Read, write and perform mathematical calculations; read and interpret basic blue prints and construction documents; operate a two-way communication device; safely operate a motor vehicle and navigate across even and uneven surfaces; detect needed repairs and to make necessary operational adjustments on equipment; work independently in the performance of regular working duties; communicate and use interpersonal skills to interact with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. to sufficiently exchange or convey information and to receive work direction; complete forms, work orders, time cards and other procedural and administrative documentation.
Skills in: Performing manual labor and semi-skilled maintenance and repair activities; operating a variety of light power driven equipment; operating small hand and power tools and other job-related equipment and vehicles.
To view a summary of benefits offered by the City of Las Cruces,
* Required Question