The Rail Division is responsible for providing rail service on a20.4 mile route from the University of Washington Station to Angle Lake Station located at South 200th Street, and major expansions are under way.
This recruitment will be used to fill one Lead Rail Signal and Communication Technician position responsible for providing lead direction, assigning and coordinating the work of Rail Signal and Communication Technicians. This is a working lead position and all normal duties of a skilled journey-level Rail Signal and Communication Technician will also be performed. Wageexplanation: This Lead position has a single-step wage. That wage differs for each shift: Days: $47.07 Swing: $49.42 Nights: $50.60
This position is considered safety sensitive. Applicants for these positions are required to undergo drug testing prior to employment andsubsequent to commencement of employment, will be subject to random, post-accident, reasonable suspicion, return to duty, and follow-up drug and alcohol testing in compliance with Federal DOT alcohol and controlled substance testing program protocols.
Who May Apply
Per union contract, first preference for filling this position is to current Metro employees in the Rail Signal and Communications Technician classification with a minimum of two years Rail Division experience in that classification (counted as of the last day applications are accepted).
Should no Rail Division employees as described above apply or qualify, the next preference is to other Metro or King County employees who meet the qualification requirements. Should no King County employees meet these qualifications, applicants from the general public will be considered.
An Employer To Be Proud Of
King County Metro Transit is a regional leader in helping people move quickly throughout the region,reducing commuter stress, greening the environment and radically improving urban air quality, by providing comfortable, effective transit services for the thousands of commuters and other residents of King County, Washington. Working for Metro means working for a leader in this nation's public transportation industry.
King County provides our employees with a free transportation pass (good on Metro, Pierce, Community and Sound Transit) and a generous benefits package, including participation in the State's pension plan (see Benefits tab for more details).
Forms and Materials Required
Applicants for this position are required to submit the complete online application form and answers to the attached supplemental questions. INTERNAL APPLICANTS: Be sure to update your application to include your current job.
This work unit supports a 24/7/365 operation. This non-exempt position is overtime eligible and shifts may include day, swing, night and weekends. The workweek and scheduled hours may vary. This position has on-call responsibilities and must respond to emergency situations as needed. You must be willing and available to work all of the above.
For Questions Regarding this Recruitment, Please Contact:
Senior Talent Advisor
Applying equity and social justice principles is a daily responsibility and a foundational expectation for all King County employees.In this role you will apply equity and social justice principles that exemplify shared values, behaviors, and practices to all aspects of the work. You will:
- As a working lead, perform the full range of responsibilities of the Rail Signal & Communications Technician classification
- Take responsibility for coordinating the work of and providing technical assistance to technicians performing a wide variety of signal & communications maintenance duties; assign work in accordance with work operating requirements and workload demands; control and monitor work flow
- Respond to questions and provide technical advice on project requirements, specifications and material requirements
- Assist in the training of other Signal & Communications workers in required maintenance operations, standard operating procedures and safety procedures
- Provide feedback to the chief/superintendent on employee and teamwork performance issues
- Monitor work assignments to ensure work has been completed in a quality manner and within established timeframes; ensure adherence to all maintenance schedules; ensure equipment is maintained and in proper working order
- Advise crew members when their work is deficient or is in violation of established regulations and procedures
- Maintain varied records including work performed, time spent, materials used, operating logs and related information; enter and extract data using automated systems; maintain manual records as required
- Participate in the development and implementation of a comprehensive preventative maintenance program for signals & communications and associated features of the light rail system; prepare records and document maintenance and diagnostic data
- Respond to emergency situations. Prioritize and determine work priorities for emergency maintenance tasks in the absence of on-site supervision
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Two years full-time journey-level experience performing railway signaling and communications
- Ability to plan, assign, balance and check work
- Skill in training and providing technical assistance
- Ability to use automated maintenance management information systems in order to process work orders and assignments
- Basic computer skills in standard software applications including MS Word, MS Excel and MS Outlook, with ability to enter and extract information from automated systems
- Knowledge of traffic safety techniques and procedures with establishing maintenance and repair work sites
- Advanced skill in reading and interpreting blueprints, schematics and drawings
- Skill in oral and written communication including reading, writing and following instructions
- Skill in preparing written reports, inspection forms for documenting defects and repairs of work orders in designated computer programs; skill in preparing time and material cost estimates; ability to keep accurate records
- Skill in working with a diverse group of individuals in a tactful and diplomatic manner
- Willingness and ability to apply King County's core values around inclusion, equity and social justice as a team member and representative of King County to the public
- Skill in problem solving and analyzing data to solve common and complex problems
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of railway signaling and communications
- Knowledge in analyzing and evaluating malfunctions in electrical and electronic railway equipment and determining repair requirements; skill in performing electronic fabrication and assembly tasks, such as soldering and wire harnessing; skill in problem solving, analyzing, diagnosing and evaluating equipment problems
- Knowledge of and skill in industrial safety techniques, principles and procedures including entering confined spaces, working from elevated platforms and equipment and working at railway crossings with train and automobile traffic
- Knowledge of and skill in maintaining and troubleshooting mechanical and hydraulic equipment
- Skill in the application of customer service techniques and principles when dealing with customers in a tactful and diplomatic manner
Necessary Special Requirements
- Ability to obtain boom truck, forklift, Hi-Rail, and confined space certification.
- Washington State driver's license and an acceptable driving record.
- Class B CDL with airbrake endorsement or able to obtain one
Work indoors and outdoors and in inclement weather. Work in high places from mechanical lifts and structures and in high voltage environment to perform inspections. Position requires physical skill and effort to operate tools, equipment, vehicles and supplies and may require stooping or bending motions when inspecting work.
Your completed application must show all jobs in the last 10 years if you have 10 years of employment. Including all relevant jobs is recommended and must be included if referred to in Supplemental Questions.
Applications will be screened to determine whether candidates meet minimum qualifications. Candidates presenting evidence that they meet or exceed the qualifications noted above may be invited to participate in a panel interview process. Employment offers will be finalized following record review, reference checks and reviews of driving records.
This position is represented by ATULocal 587.
King County is an equal employment opportunity employer. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workplace and workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding values--we are one team, we solve problems, we focus on the customer, we drive for results, we are racially just, we respect all people, we lead the way, we are responsible stewards. We welcome and encourage people of all backgrounds to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
For additional information about employee benefits please visit our Benefits, Payroll, and Retirement Page.
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position.Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
- Completed education history
- Detailed description of each position that you have held in the last ten years. Please list gaps in employment and reason
- Reason for leaving employers, (in cases of termination, state why you were terminated)
- Valid driver's license
- Class A CDL/Permit
- Class B CDL/Permit
- Air Brake Endorsement
- Passenger Endorsement
- I do not have a driver's license
- Moving violation
- Unpaid parking ticket(s)
- Unpaid traffic ticket(s)
- Child support enforcement
- I have not had my license suspended
- More than once
- My license has not been suspended
- Reckless or negligent driving
- DWI/DUI - driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Hit and run incident
- Vehicular homicide or vehicular assault
- Open container violation
- More than one at-fault accident
- None of the above
- 5 or more
- no code violations
* Required Question