Performs semiskilled work in ensuring the comfort and safety of all Aquatic Center patrons, offering assistance as needed. This includes proactive and reactive responses to daily and emergency situations in and around the pool. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Head Lifeguard, Assistant Aquatic Supervisor and the Aquatic Supervisor.Essential Functions
- Monitors activities in swimming pool areas to prevent drowning, injuries or accidents
- Prevents accidents through enforcement of policies, rules and regulations governing the conduct of patrons using the pool and surrounding area
- Remains calm in emergency situations
- Inspects facilities for cleanliness; assists in daily pool, locker room and deck cleaning
- Assists in the maintenance of the swimming pool and monitoring and maintaining the pool filtration system
- Monitors pool water chemistry through testing of water samples, adjust chemistry as needed to maintain standards
- Analyzes and corrects facility hazards
- Assists with opening and closing procedures
- Takes care of equipment and stores equipment properly
- Fills out all necessary paperwork
- Attends and contributes at in-service training sessions and staff meetings on monthly basis
- Reports to work in approved staff clothing
- Performs any and all other job duties assigned such as assisting with camps, special events, front desk, swim lessons, and swim team
Education and Experience:
Ability to pass Blacksburg Aquatic Center Lifeguard testing during the interview process. This is a part-time wage position that requires the incumbent work a minimum of 6 hours per week, including evenings, weekends, holidays and split shifts.
This work requires the frequent exertion of up to 50 pounds of force and occasional exertion of up to 80 pounds of force with assistance. Work regularly requires standing for extended periods of time, frequently sitting, walking, climbing, bending, kneeling, stooping, reaching, pulling and lifting. Occasionally requires tasting or smelling. Work has standard vision requirements; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels, to receive detailed information through oral communications and to make fine distinctions in sound. Work requires visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, using of measuring devices, operating machines, observing general surroundings and activities. Work will be at an indoor aquatic facility and may include exposure to all types of conditions including chlorine or other pool chemicals, heat, blood or other body fluids.
No benefits are available for this position.