Performs managerial and administrative duties involved in directing daily operations and activities of the Division of Administration of General Services. Performs related duties as required.
The men and women in Metro's General Services Department are there to make sure the rest of government works. From ensuring that our city's vehicles run safely and smoothly, to maintaining high performance buildings to providing printing services and more, General Services is the support that allows other Metro departments to focus and achieve their missions.Typical Duties
- Plans, Directs, Coordinates and evaluates the operation of the Division of Administration of General Services.
- Performs administrative and managerial duties for the various offices of the Division of Administration.
- Represents the Department of General Services in meetings with internal and external customers.
- Collaborates with various Metro agencies on projects, initiatives andservices.
- Coordinates and compiles data across the division of General Services.
- Evaluates divisional operating procedures and makes recommendations for improvement.
- Assists in developing departmental policies, procedures, rules, regulations, and work methods.
- Formulates long and short range goals and objectives for better operating efficiency.
- Provides data that may be helpful in planning and decision making.
- Directs preparation of administrative, financial, and special reports.
- Evaluates programs regularly to ensure they are efficient and consistent with departmental goals and policies.
- Recommends changes for improving operational effectiveness.
- Assists with preparation of the budget.
- Interprets rules and policies for staff.
- Prepares needed reports, purchase orders and other documentation.
- Oversees personnel related duties.
- Supervises employees of the Division of Administration of General Services.
- Assigns duties and evaluates employee performance.
- Interviews and hires new employees.
- Processes necessary paperwork.
- Approves leave request.
- Counsels and corrects employees as needed.
Bachelor's Degree and five (5) years of professional experience in an administrative, financial, technical, or related field.
Candidates with accreditations earned in a foreign institute are encouraged to apply.
Candidate must pass the MNPD background check prior to employment
Note: Per Metro Ordinance No. SO94-1078. All employees of the Metropolitan Government shall be residents of the State of Tennessee or become residents of the state within six (6) months of employment as a prerequisite to employment with the Metropolitan Government.Preferred Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Leadership experience in Government.
- Ten or more years of professional experience in an administrative, financial, technical, or related field.
- Knowledge ofGovernment buildings and operations.
- Knowledge of OSHA safety practices and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of managerial and administrative principles and practices.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply.
Requests for ADA accommodation for the recruitment process should be directed to 615-862-8163.
Full-time, Civil Service positions -
10 Vacation Days per year (increasing after 5 years of service)
1 Sick Day per month
11 Paid Holidays per year
Public Safety - Sworn and Civilian positions -
20 vacation days per year
3 Personal days per year
1 Sick Day per month
11 paid holidays per year
Part-time, Non Civil Service positions - Visit HR and Benefits webpages for more information.
Full-time, Non Civil Service positions - contact hiring department for benefits information
Seasonal/Temporary positions - no benefits offered.
- 9th grade or higher, no diploma
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Associate's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- No Experience
- One to Two years
- Three to Four years
- Five to Six years
- Seven to Eight years
- Nine or more years
* Required Question