San Mateo County Health is seeking a well-qualified individual for the position of Environmental Health Specialist I/II/III - Land Use Programs ? Limited Term.
The current vacancy is limited term in Environmental Health Services Division's Land Use Programs. This position is currently located in San Mateo, CA, but will travel/drive throughout the County to perform duties of the job.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Perform inspections of proposed well and septic locations, observe soil percolation testing, as well as inspection of well and septic system installations, for compliance with environmental health laws and regulations.
- Perform inspection of confined animal and exotic animal facilities.
- Investigate and resolve citizen complaints.
- Conduct enforcement activities.
- Give instructions for correction of violations.
- Advise and instruct business owners, builders, architects, engineers, public officials and other individuals on interpretation and application of environmental health laws and requirements.
- Maintain records and prepare reports and correspondence.
- Other relevant duties as assigned.
Applicants must submit the following documentation with application to confirm they meet the requirements of the position:
EnvironmentalHealthSpecialistI - Letter of Approval as an Environmental Health Specialist Traineefrom the State of California Department of Health Services.(Appointments to Environmental Health Specialist I positions may not be continued longer than three years, and failure to qualify as a Registered Environmental Health Specialist within that period will necessitate termination of employment in that classification.)
EnvironmentalHealth Specialist II andIII- CaliforniaCertificate as a Registered Environmental Health Specialist(REHS).
EnvironmentalHealth Specialist I -$36.65 - $40.98 Hourly
EnvironmentalHealth Specialist II -$42.94 - $53.66 Hourly
EnvironmentalHealth Specialist III -$45.57 - $56.94 Hourly
This is a limited term, at-will position. Limited Term Employees are assigned to assignments not to exceed three years. They receive medical and dental benefits, similar to regular employees, and a defined contribution retirement plan.
Information for current County employees: Current and regular San MateoCounty Employees who are interested in this assignment must submit application materials and compete inthe selection process.If you are successful in the selection process and are being considered for the assignment, HRwill work directly with you and/or your department for options.Please notethat there is no guarantee that you will be allowed by your department to rotate into this assignment nor are your departments obligated to allow you to take on this assignment. The salary range for this position is "as is" and non-negotiable. Qualifications
EHSI-possession of a Letter of Approval as an Environmental Health Specialist Trainee from the State of California Department of Health Services.A copy of the letter must be submitted with the application materials.
EHS IIand EHS III -possession of a California Certificate as a Registered Environmental Health Specialist.A copy of the certificate must be submitted with the application materials.
Education and Experience: Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is:
EHS I level: A bachelor's degree which has included a minimum of 30 semester units of basic sciences.
EHS II level: One year of experience in general inspections and investigations in the environmental health field.
EHS III level: Two years of journey level experience in environmental health inspections and investigations.
If you are interested in being considered for this limited term position the following items must be submitted via e-mail:
- Cover letter with responses to Supplemental Questions
- Letter of Approval as an Environmental Health Specialist Trainee from the State of California Department of Health Services ~OR~ California Certificate as a Registered Environmental Health Specialist
- Possession of a Letter of Approval as an Environmental Health Specialist Trainee from the State of California Department of Health Services ~OR~ possession of a California Certificate as a Registered Environmental Health Specialist is required. Indicate how you meet this requirement. A copy of the letter or certificate must be submitted with the application materials.
- Describe in detail your education, training, certification and/or experience (including internships) in water well siting, drilling and construction, water treatment technologies, soils sciences, hydrogeology, residential and commercial septic system design and construction, and experience in review of construction drawings. Be specific.
- Discuss the role of communication and documentation as an Environmental Health Specialist within Environmental Health and with external contractors/consultants.Be specific.
Please include the words "Environmental Health Specialist I/II/III - Land Use Programs ? Limited Term Position" in the subject line of email submission. All submitted materials must be in a Word or PDF format.
Please submit the above listed materials via email to:
Application materials will be reviewed as they are received, and well-qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Apply immediately. Application materials will be accepted until position is filled. This posting is open on a continuous basis and selection may be made at any time within the process.
NOTE: Application materials are only accepted via e-mail. Materials sent via regular mail and/or fax will not be accepted. Submittals that do not include all required elements (cover letter with responses to supplemental questions, EHS Trainee letter of approval -OR- REHS certificate, and a resume) will not be considered.
As an additional benefit, the County offers extensive training and development programs designed to improve skills and enhance career opportunities.Most programs are offered on County time at no cost to you.