The Solid Waste Division of King County Department of Natural Resources and Parks (SWD) is hiring several Engineer II team members to engage as team members in the Facility Engineering and Science Section (FESS). SWD is inviting new members ready to provide innovative and high quality engineering services to assist the Solid Waste Division with designing, constructing and maintaining solid waste transfer and recycling stations, and landfills including performing: engineering design review and construction management inspection; evaluation of environmental control operating systems; implementing industrial and landfill compliance requirements and producing permit compliance reports. These positions will report to King Street Center in Seattle and are expected to work in the field during inspection activities.
These are Special Duty opportunities for King County Career Service employees and Term Limited Temporary (TLT) opportunities for external candidates. This opportunity is currently expected to last at least one year, with the possibility of extension for up to five years.
Currently, we have multiple full time, term limited/special duty Engineer II positions available. This posting may also be used to fill any future vacancies that may become available. For our current openings, we are looking for candidates with either of the following skills:
- Mechanical, electrical or civil engineering and construction management skills to support the operations of industrial and commercial facilities such as solid waste transfer station facility, landfill support facilities and operating landfill control systems, including providing engineering design review and construction management services for these facilities.
- Civil, environmental or chemical engineering, aquatic and/or air chemistry, hydrogeology or geology, and infrastructure construction management skills to support the operations of industrial facilities such as active and closed landfill systems and environmental control systems for solid waste transfer facilities including providing engineering design review and construction management services for these facilities.
Job Information Open-house: We invite you to join a Skype open house to learn more about this position on Monday, January 6, from 11:00 am ? 12:00 pm. You can call us at 206-263-8114 and enter code 422149 when prompted to join the open house.
Who May Apply:These positions are open to all qualified applicants. King County and the Solid Waste Division values diverse perspectives and life experience and encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, women, people with disabilities, and veterans.
How To Apply:Applicants must submit a (1) King County application form and (2) letter ofinterestdetailing your background and describing how your education and experience meets the qualifications and has prepared you to perform the essential functions of the job.
Work Location:King Street Center - 201 South Jackson Street, Suite 701, Seattle WA or Cedar Hills Regional Landfill - 16645 228th Ave SE, Maple Valley, WA
To learn more about SWD and RES, visit https://kingcounty.gov/depts/dnrp/solid-waste.aspx
Examples of Job Duties:
Common Duties Include:
- Provide engineering support for industrial facilities such as landfill and/or transfer station facilities in accordance with existing facility inspection program, prepare system performance evaluation reports and design improvements to resolve system failures and improve functionality
- Provide engineering services to manage Capital Asset Maintenance Program (CAMP) projects and act as Project Manager for projects
- Prepare plans, specifications, estimates or scope of work for Work Order and Job Order process and/or internal use. Conduct bid or qualification process. Negotiate and administer contracts.
- Review contract plans and provisions; oversee the work of contractors on a daily basis and monitor work progress; take corrective action for non-compliance with contract requirements.
- Produce scientific and analytical reports for technical, regulatory and non-technical audiences to summarize and convey project findings and meet regulatory compliance requirements.
- Present to and discuss technical information with managers and staff, project managers, project teams, regulatory agencies, public stakeholders, and other jurisdictions and agencies.
- Assist senior team members to negotiate facility regulatory permit conditions.
- Assist with the development and administration of design-related systems/programs and production of construction drawings including developing and updating Operating Plans for solid waste facilities.
Active and Closed Landfill Systems, and Environmental Control Systems for Solid Waste Transfer Facilities Position Specific Duties Include:
- Perform groundwater and surface water evaluations applying knowledge of aquatic chemistry, fate and transport, environmental monitoring networks, analytical data evaluation and QA/QC procedures and environmental control systems at landfill and transfer facilities.
- Provide operations engineering services to support the operations of landfill environmental control systems, and other infrastructural systems as part of the project team; Provide support to Landfill Operations including evaluations of landfill cover, landfill wastewater and gas operations to recommend performance improvements.
- Determine consistency of remedial engineering plans and products with all appropriate industry standards, as well as local, state and federal laws and regulations, including Solid Waste Division policies and procedures.
- Provide engineering services for design review, construction management.
Solid Waste Transfer Station Facility, Landfill Support Facilities, and Operating Landfill Control Systems Position Specific Duties Include:
- Review and/or prepare engineering designs for mechanical, electrical or structural for transfer station and landfill systems that are well defined and limited in scope.
- Provide operations engineering services to support the operations of transfer facility structures, and other infrastructural systems as part of the project team; provide support to Transfer Facility Operations including evaluations of industrial building components, mechanical system, storm water and waste water conveyance system, and electrical system operations to recommend performance improvements.
- Analyze, design, and review various vertical, at-grade and underground system engineering elements, including industrial building components, mechanical systems, air quality control systems, storm water and waste water conveyance systems, and electrical system systems. Provide technical solutions to address system failures and improve functionality for high-risk project resolution.
- Provide engineering services for design review, construction, and operational support facilities including equipment maintenance and administrative support facilities.
Our Ideal Candidates Will Have:
- Bachelor's degree in civil engineering, environmental engineering, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, architecture, geology, hydrogeology, geochemistry or closely related field, such as geotechnical engineering
- Demonstrated expertise, preferably at least two years, in independently analyzing, designing or reviewing various industrial facilities with engineering elements similar to landfill and/or solid waste transfer facilities
- Knowledge of project management, contract administration, budgeting and scheduling techniques and principles
- Demonstrated small projects construction management experience related to major solid waste facility projects
- Documented experience in negotiating, applying and obtaining various local, state, and federal permits required for implementation of public works and solid waste related projects.
- Transfer Facility candidates will demonstrate knowledge and experience with vertical, at-grade and/or underground design and construction
- Landfill Facility candidates will demonstrate knowledge and experience with landfill engineer control system design and construction.
- Ability and comfortable to work in the field collaboratively with Operations personnel, in inclement weather, on uneven terrain, during normal and after work hours.
- Ability to determine whether human health and the environment is being impacted by solid waste facility operations using predictive and prescriptive statistical analysis and operational performance evaluation tools.
- Demonstrated experience in effective communications management both in oral and writing formats with diverse groups of professionals, coworkers, and general public.
- Applicable skills using Microsoft (MS) Project to develop schedules for public works projects; MS Excel, MS-Word, MS Access, and basic working knowledge using MS PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaboratively in team settings and across department lines and with senior-level managers, supervisors, technical leads and operations staff.
- Ability to work effectively in a rapidly evolving work environment that requires multi-tasking, planning and organizing work on a daily basis, responding to changing priorities and tight deadlines, and grasping and responding to complex issues quickly.
- Ability to take initiative and function independently on assigned projects, while keeping team members, senior-level team members and stakeholders apprised of key issues and developments.
- Demonstrated ability to ensure work complies with applicable regulations, including review and interpreting regulation, and negotiating permit and project requirements.
Highly Competitive Candidates Will Have:
- Work experience associated with the design, construction, and operation of waste disposal facilities, waste management facilities, equipment maintenance, and administrative facilities or equivalent facilities.
- Two years of experience performing groundwater and surface water evaluations applying knowledge of aquatic chemistry, fate and transport, environmental monitoring networks, and environmental control systems.
- Demonstrated skills using Computer-aided Design (CAD).
- Demonstrated knowledge of Building Information Management technology and integration of the technology into design, construction and facilities management of Solid Waste systems.
- Fundamentals of EngineeringCertification or Professional License in Engineering, Geology or Hydrogeology
Special Requirements:The selected person will need a valid Washington State Driver's License or the ability to travel throughout the County in a timely manner. You may also be required to successfully complete a Pre-employment Physical Test.
Union Membership:Positions in this classification are represented by Professional and Technical Engineers, Local 17A.
Contact Information:Please [email protected] questions regarding this announcement.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
For additional information about employee benefits please visit our Benefits, Payroll, and Retirement Page.
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position.Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
* Required Question