At the consolidated emergency communications E911 Center which serves Nashville and Davidson County, every shift offers an opportunity to make a difference, even a chance to save a life. The mission of the Department of Emergency Communications (DEC) is to serve as the vital link between citizens and the emergency responders of Nashville and Davidson County by providing emergency and non-emergency services in a prompt, courteous and efficient manner. The DEC's dedicated employees are typically the initial emergency contact in Metro Nashville, providing life-saving assistance over the phone while dispatching the necessary first responders to an emergency. The DEC provides this public service 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and 365 days a year.
***All applications are subject to public disclosure.***
The salary for this position will be dependent upon experience and qualifications.
The Department of Emergency Communications Directoris responsible for staffing, supervision, direction, training, and administration of the consolidated E911 Communications Center in Davidson County. The Director worksclosely with Police,Fire and Rescue, and Emergency Management personnel to ensure the highest quality of emergency services are provided to Nashville and Davidson County. This position alsorequires a high level of responsibility, flexibility, attention to detail, ability to work under pressure, and maintain privacy and confidentiality in a 24hr/7day operation.Typical Duties
- Directs administration, planning, and organization of Emergency Communications operation.
- Oversees annual budget preparation and administration.
- Develops long-range goals for the organization, including policy development.
- Establishes policies and procedures to coordinate the services and resources of government and private agencies during time of a disaster.
- Confers with members of Office of Emergency Management, Police, and Fire departments to determine mutual problems and overall responsibility.
- Analyzes operational and service demands, and develops plans and strategies for meeting those needs.
- Provide leadership that emphasizes tact and diplomacy, and the willingness to seek reasonable compromise for the good of the organization.
- Prepares presentations and effectively communicate on complex topics to senior management, elected officials and appointed department heads.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Public Administration, Management,Business Administration or closely-related field
- Sevenyears of progressively-responsible managementexperience, including a minimum of five yearsof senior-level management experience in emergency communications.
Substitution of education or experience will be considered.
Candidates with accreditations earned in a foreign institute are encouraged to apply.
Note: Per Metro Ordinance No. SO94-1078. All employees of the Metropolitan Government shall be residents of the State of Tennessee or become residents of the state within six (6) months of employment as a prerequisite to employment with the Metropolitan Government. Preferred Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience as anassistant director or higher of an emergency communication center or similar job responsibilities.
- Extensive experience in community, labor, media, and public relations.
- Knowledge and direct experience with CALEA, CFAI, NENA, APCO,NCIC, and NCMEC certifications
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply.
Requests for ADA accommodation for the recruitment process should be directed to 615-862-6640.
Full-time, Civil Service positions -
10 Vacation Days per year (increasing after 5 years of service)
1 Sick Day per month
11 Paid Holidays per year
Public Safety - Sworn and Civilian positions -
20 vacation days per year
3 Personal days per year
1 Sick Day per month
11 paid holidays per year
Part-time, Non Civil Service positions - Visit HR and Benefits webpages for more information.
Full-time, Non Civil Service positions - contact hiring department for benefits information
Seasonal/Temporary positions - no benefits offered.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Associate's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree or higher
- No Experience
- 1 - 3 years
- 4 - 6 years
- 7 - 9 years
- 10 or more years
- No Experience
- 1 - 2 years
- 3 - 4 years
- 5 - 6 years
- 7 or more years
* Required Question