This class provides front-line customer service, citizen assistance, and revenue processing activities. Incumbents provide standard information, customer service, and revenue transaction processing by following prescribed procedures and instructions. As assigned, work may include answering phones; responding to emails or other written messages; researching customer questions and account inquiries; collecting and processing assigned payments; receiving and reconciling payments; performing daily batch processing; performing office opening and closing responsibilities such as setting alarms and cash security; preparing daily deposits or assisting with deposit preparation; assisting with monthly audits; balancing petty cash; setting up or cancelling accounts; providing information about policies and procedures to customers; printing out bills; running standard reports; performing data entry into the financial system, remittance system, and spreadsheets; operating a variety of equipment such as a cash register, and performing basic clerical functions.
- Exercised: This classification typically does not supervise other employees.
- Received: This classification typically reports to a supervisor or manager. As assigned, may report to a team lead.
- Note: Other reporting relationships may apply.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Completing daily, weekly and monthly payment reconciliations;
- Responding to customer billing and service inquiries andresearching as needed to resolve issues;
- Tracking customer complaints using theCity tracking system;
- Performing and processing necessary adjustments to customer accounts and thedepartment's computer system for each assigned customer area;
- Processing adjudication of citations through the administrative review program or through the court system;
- Entering manual citations into the Clancy System;
- Corresponding with customers via telephone and mail to verify accuracy of service resolutions implemented;
- Preparing, maintaining and submitting account logs andapprising supervisor of work and account services completed including issues and complaints;
- Performing data entry into department computersystem for account corrections, changes and resolutions;
- Performing data entry of special or routine information into department computer database;
- Performing research and special projects as directed by supervisor;
- Assisting customers with forms and applications for completion,answering customer questions andreferring customers to the appropriate parties;
- Designing signage in accordance with the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD);
- Performing other related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma or GED;
- Two years of customer service experience such as collecting and processing payments, researching billing information,or providing direct customer service;
- An equivalent combination of training and experience (as approved by the department) may be used to meet the minimum qualifications of the classification.
PREFERRED TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Three (3) to five (5) years of customer service experience is preferred;
- One (1) to two (2) years of experience in parking operations;
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite;
- Experience with Clancy System is preferred.
LICENSING, CERTIFICATIONS, and/or OTHER SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- None required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
TYPICAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES: These are a representative sample; position assignments may vary.
Knowledge (some combination of the following):
- Standard office equipment;
- Standard office protocols and procedures;
- Customer service protocols and procedures;
- Basic clerical duties;
- Cash handling procedures.
Skills (some combination of the following):
- Computer proficiency including Microsoft Office Suite;
- Data entry;
- Telephone etiquette;
- Effective oral/written and interpersonal communication;
- Basic mathematics;
- Customer service;
Abilities (some combination of the following):
- Remain calm in stressful situations;
- Show empathy and compassion;
- Defuse inflamed situations.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. Prospective and current employees are invited to discuss accommodations.
ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS: Working conditions may include exposure to travel to other locations within the City of Richmond as well as outside of the City of Richmond; exposure to hazardous physical conditions such as mechanical parts, electrical currents, vibrations, etc.; atmospheric conditions such as fumes, odors, dusts, gases, and poor ventilation; inadequate lighting; intense noise; and environmental hazards such as disruptive people, imminent danger, and a threatening environment.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT: Due to the nature of work assignments, incumbents must be able to perform detailed work on multiple, concurrent tasks, with frequent interruptions and under time constraint. While performing the essential duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, see, hear, finger (pick, pinch, type or otherwise work primarily with fingers), and use substantial repetitive motions of the wrists, hands, and fingers. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, stand, reach extending hands and arms in any direction, walk, lift, feel, and grasp. In terms of the physical strength to perform the essential duties, this classification is considered to be sedentary, exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, and a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects.
With over 4,000 employees, the City of Richmond is an "Employer of Choice" among cities throughout the nation. The City strives to hire and retain employees who bring dedication and talent to the workforce. Offering a competitive, cost effective, and quality benefits package is one element of an "Employer of Choice".
The City offers a full range of benefit programs from initial hire through retirement. Please visit our Web site for details.
- High School Diploma/GED
- Some college
- Associate's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's/Advanced Degree
- None of the above
- Less than two (2) years of experience
- Two (2) to five (5) years of experience
- Five (5) or more years of experience
- Less than one (1) year of experience
- One (1) to three (3) years of experience
- Three (3) or more years of experience
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Outlook
- None of the above
* Required Question