~This posting does not reflect the 3% Cost of Living Increase effective July 1, 2019~
You will contribute to the Office of Risk Management's (ORM) mission by serving as the division's first line of contact with constituents and independently resolves complaints, inquiries and client/customer service problems while maintaining appropriate confidentiality.
You will be responsible for resolving issues and complaints as well as responding to customer requests for information regarding claims, litigation, and insurance. You will perform routine clerical tasks such as opening and routing mail, filing, and creating labels and folders to support the claims and litigation processes. Some complex, administrative tasks will include entering events into the claims database, responding to inquiries regarding claims status and/or claims processes, creating certificates of insurance and invoices, and assisting division staff with a variety of other administrative projects.
You will work with claims submitted by citizens using both a scanner and the iVOS claims database to enter and track claims/events.
You will be in a key position that is responsible for reducing the cost of government operations by applying Lean principles and is responsible for the delivery of exceptional services. You must model a Lean, organizational culture that promotes the practice of respect for people, openness, trust, safety, transparency, collaborative problem solving, managing with data, incremental continuous improvement.
Why you would want this job:
You might be interested in this job if you enjoy working with a variety of people and enjoy that every day is not the same. You will be working in a creative environment where you can learn from other team members to grow and expand your knowledge, skills, and abilities.
And if that isn't enough?
We also offer:
- A work location close to downtown Olympia (where you have access to the water front, Farmer's Market, Capitol Lake and the Capitol Campus)
- Wellness activities (we have internal exercise classes that include Yoga and Boot Camp and we are located in between a neighborhood and downtown with sidewalks to get out and walk or shop)
- A work location close to the Chehalis bike trail and on-premise bike lockers and shower rooms
- A cafeteria in the building (indoor and outdoor seating)
- Bus service (including the DASH (free) shuttle)
- Vanpool(commuting) opportunities
- Tele/mobile working, flex schedules, compressed work weeks
- An Infants in the Workplaceprogram
- MANY opportunities to promote within the agency
Some of what you will enjoy doing will include:
- Independently resolves client/customer problems by identifying the issues, determining procedural steps necessary to bring resolution, and communicating results to the client/customer.
- Acts as liaison between clients/customers and agency; assisting other agencies.
- Answers main phone line responding to various inquiries ranging from routine calls to complex inquiries from claimants, general public, private attorneys, state agency personnel, and claims staff from other state agencies about pending claims or the claims process.
- Assists agency customers (internal/external) seeking services or assistance.
- Receives in-person visitors and responds to their requests.
- Ensures that all new claims and related correspondence have been opened, date-stamped, and scanned timely and accurately.
- Prepares new claim files and makes copies of CDs.
- Analyzes incidents for database coding purposes to ensure accuracy and uniformity. Enters information into the iVOS database.
- Regularly accesses the iVOS database to determine status and the investigator who has been assigned to the claim.
- Updates iVOS event information as needed.
- For large meetings, schedule conference rooms and plan room configuration, schedule IT assistance, arrange for catering if appropriate.
- Make copies of handouts for meetings.
- Send calendar invitations to attendees.
- Help coordinate on day of meeting.
An Associate's degree
Two (2) years of experience providing assistance to customers regarding inquiries, complaints or problems;
A Bachelor's degree;
Equivalent experience providing assistance to customers regarding inquiries, complaints or problems.
The preferred candidate will also have:
- Ability to effectively communicate and deal with the public, especially in stressful situations, and answering specific questions relating to filing tort claims and regarding insurance coverage and policies.
- Accept responsibility for a variety of activities without constant direction and supervision, maintain courteous attitude toward public, fellow employees and representatives of other agencies, write and speak clearly and effectively.
- Ability to compose, send and respond to electronic mail; utilize email program functions such as calendars and meeting requests; maintain email distribution lists.
- Ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks effectively.
- Ability to navigate the Internet to find and download information.
- Utilize specialized technical knowledge for: iVOS Database, Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, phones, faxes and copiers. Position requires considerable keyboarding expertise and a good working knowledge of computer applications.
- Ability to proofread and edit written material, correcting errors and improving clarity of content.
- Ability to prepare correspondence based on current guidelines such as memos and letters, reports, system documentation, merge documents and forms.
- Ability to document and update information in written or electronic form to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to maintain numerical and/or alphabetical, manual or electronic filing systems.
- Ability to use professional phone etiquette.
- Possess a strong customer service focus.
One (1) year of risk management experience. Supplemental Information
Please attach the following documents in order to be considered, failure to do so may result in you not being considered for the position:
- A letter of interest that shows your personality and voice to describe why you are the successful candidate and how you meet the specific qualifications for this position;
- Current resume, detailing experience, and education; and
- A list of at least three (3) professional references with current telephone numbers.
By submitting these materials, you are indicating that all information is true and correct. The state may verify information. Any untruthful or misleading information is cause for removal from the applicant pool or dismissal if employed.
The Department of Enterprise Services celebrates our differences and we are committed to a workplace that supports equal opportunity employment and inclusion regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity diversity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We will also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Persons with a disability who need assistance with their application or need this announcement in an alternative format, may call (360) 664-1960 or toll free (877) 664-1960. TTY users should first call 711 to access theWashington Relay Service.
Should you have any questions regarding this position or the online application, contact Angie Anderson at (360) 407-8446 or [email protected].
We understand that your life revolves around more than just your career and that your priority is making sure that you and your family will maintain health and financial security. That's why choice is a key component of our benefits package. We have a selection of health and retirement plans, paid leave, staff training and other compensation benefits that you can mix and match to meet your current and future needs.
Vacation (Annual Leave)
*Employees who are members of certain Unions are entitled to an additional personal leave day of their choice.Please refer to specific Collective Bargaining Agreements for more information.
- 4 years of experience providing assistance to customers regarding inquiries, complaints or problems
- 1 year of college (30 semester or 45 quarter credits) AND 3 years of experience providing assistance to customers regarding inquiries, complaints or problems
- Associate's degree or 2 years of college (60 semester or 90 quarter credits) AND 2 years of experience providing assistance to customers regarding inquiries, complaints or problems
- 3 years of college (90 semester or 135 quarter credits) AND one (1) year of experience providing assistance to customers regarding inquiries, complaints or problems
- Bachelor's degree
- None of these apply
* Required Question