Under the direction of the Court Administrator and in coordination of the Court Supervisor, this position performs a variety of technical recordkeeping and clerical duties in support of the Municipal Court according to laws, rules, court policies and procedures. Provides accurate direction, information, assistance and technical support to all levels of court customers including, but not limited to, attorneys, law enforcement agencies, defendants, victims and state agencies. This position deals with sensitive and confidential information and has a high level of independence in judgment and action required.Essential Duties
- Provide exceptional customer service, both internally and externally.Perform routine and complex clerical duties and technical processing work in support of Municipal Court operations according to laws, rules, court policies and procedures.
- Prepares and maintains posting entries and transactions to ensure that defendant's records are properly maintained, accurately posted, and adjudicated when appropriate.
- Accurately classes and codes entries and transactions in accordance with JIS or other procedures.
- Reviews information from citations and infractions to ensure compliance with City and State laws.
- Assists and prepares complex accounting reports and processes payments to other jurisdictions, restitution and jurors.Processes month end balancing and reporting.
- Assists and prepares juror notification and monitors tracking.
- Assists and prepares warrants, subpoenas, show cause and other hearing notices.
- Communicates a wide variety of information to all levels of court customers including attorneys, law enforcement agencies, defendants, victims and state agencies regarding court procedures by telephone, email, mail or at the counter including no contact orders, court dates, and dispositions, effect of guilty plea and arraignment rights and processes.
- Process correspondence from defendants which requires identifying the issue, researching the request, referring to the Judge, responding to defendants and making all appropriate docket entries.
- Enter accurately cases such as criminal citations, traffic citations, parking tickets and code enforcement into the Judicial Information System (JIS) which requires verifying personal information.Updating JIS with information such as hearings held, dispositions, sentence conditions, warrants, no contact orders, domestic violence orders, anti-harassment orders and probation entries and ensure notification and compliance with appropriate entities.
- Set cases within jurisdiction time frames for various types of hearings.Prepares court calendars and notifies parties related to case by subpoena or summons.Process continuance requests and notify all parties involved.Schedule and coordinate interpreters for non-English speaking court defendants, victims and witnesses.
- Serves as clerk to the Judge during court proceedings and performs other courtroom related tasks such as recording and logging proceedings.Serves as back up Jury Coordinator marking exhibits and procuring a jury.Process judges orders; set up payment plans and establishes follow-up actions.Prepares and processes bench warrants.
- Provides support to the Judge, Prosecuting Attorney, Public Defenders, private attorneys and defendants.Works with contracted jails and other court clerks to provide and gather information related to the Court.
- Processes mitigations, deferrals and other counter sentences and findings.
- Provides support for the electronic home monitoring program and other correctional type programs.
- Responsible for money receipted for infractions and violations, bail and time payments.Collects, receipts and balances money received over the counter or in the mail.Works with contracted collection agencies.Operates cash register for Court revenues, daily balance and deposit of monies into same; balance and deposits of revenues received.
- Maintains extensive filing and recordkeeping systems.Ensures that files and all relevant materials are available for cases as required.Reviews documents and ensures that proper signatures are obtained and that documents are distributed to the proper offices or persons.Responsible for responding to Municipal Court public records requests in a timely manner, under the direction of the Court Supervisor.
- Follow/adhere to all city policies and procedures, and safety program regulations and requirements.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- General practices and terminology found in a court/legal setting.
- The right to privacy and public disclosure laws.
- Basic research methods.
- Office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Municipal Court practices, procedures and legal terminology.
- General governmental accounting procedures.
- Record-keeping techniques, including filing system maintenance.
- Standard business English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Microsoft Office.
- Effectively and creatively review tasks and duties for lean principles to streamline operations and provide for cost saving measures.
- Interpret and apply legal terminology.
- Interpret and apply laws, rules, codes, and procedures governing case processing and/or courtroom procedures
- Provide excellent customer service, both internally and externally.
- Handles several tasks simultaneously while maintaining accuracy and attention to detail in an environment of frequent interruptions.
- Remain flexible to changing priorities or job tasks.
- Handle sensitive matters with integrity and confidentiality.
- Establish and follow priorities, organize files and materials, identify procedural problems, organize and pay attention to details.
- Maintain accurate and complete documents while meeting deadlines.
- Gather data from a variety of sources.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing in the English language.
- Apply and explain policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Make sound decisions in accordance with established guidelines.
- Provide conflict management while interacting with emotionally distraught individuals while recognizing potential danger and taking appropriate action to ensure safety and security.
- Understand and work within the scope of authority.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships among co-workers and other City personnel, contractors, and the general public.
- Perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalency
- Two (2) years of clerical experience.
- Experience in aMunicipal Court or legal experience including knowledge of Judicial Information (JIS) software preferred.
- Foreign language skills preferred.
Licenses, Certificates and Other Requirements:
- Possession of a valid driver's license.
Work is performed in an office or courtroom environment with extensive time spent at a desktop computer. The nature of this work has frequent interruptions. Sitting and standing for extended periods of time; dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard and other office equipment; occasional moderate lifting up to 20 pounds and more with assistance. May be subject to dealing with hostile and/or emotional customers requiring the use of conflict management skills. The nature of the work may cause noisy office conditions.
The City of Battle Ground offers an excellent benefit package that includes:
- Health Insurance - Choice between aPPO and HMO plan
- Basic life insurance policy, with supplemental options for employee, spouse and dependents
- Long-term disability policy
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Retirement through WA State Retirement Systems
- Paid vacation
- Paid sick leave
- Paid holidays
* Required Question