This position serves as a Mental Health (MH) Clinical Pharmacy Specialist (CPS) provider for the CRH program. The CRH MH CPS provider functions at the highest level of clinical practice and works independently under their scope of practice (SOP) to directly care for patients.
Learn more about this agency
A Clinical Resource Hub (CRH) is a repository of clinical and administrative staff that serve all Veterans Affairs (VA) facilities within a Veterans Integrated System Network (VISN). This position serves as a Mental Health (MH) Clinical Pharmacy Specialist (CPS) provider for the CRH program. The CRH MH CPS provider functions at the highest level of clinical practice and works independently under their scope of practice (SOP) to directly care for patients. As a health care team member, the CRH MH CPS provider performs comprehensive medication management (CMM), including the initiation, modification, and discontinuation of medication therapy, through interaction with both patients and fellow health care team members. CRH services will be conducted via multiple virtual modalities (e.g., telehealth, telephone), but may provide in-person care depending on the VA facility needs and CRH leadership discussion. The CRH MH CPS provider will serve as a VISN 1 resource and be credentialed at the VA Connecticut Medical Center.
- Functions as an advanced practice provider with a scope of practice to provide CMM services for identified Spoke site facilities as outlined in VHA Handbook 1108.11, Clinical Pharmacy Services.
- Executes therapeutic plans utilizing the safest and most cost-effective medication treatments
- Orders consults and referrals, as appropriate, to maximize positive drug therapy outcomes; examples include, but are not limited to, referrals for routine care or assessment to clinical nutrition professionals, prosthetics, social workers, integrated mental health professionals, or other specialty areas
- Follows-up with patients in a timely manner and monitors for drug therapy response, potential adverse drug reactions, allergies, compliance, laboratory results, and other monitoring measures as appropriate; treatment plan adjustments are made accordingly based on assessed measures
- Reviews patient medication regimens for clinical effectiveness, drug selection, dosing, contraindications, side effects, potential drug interactions, pharmacokinetic impact, and therapeutic outcomes as required; information is communicated with team members and appropriate alternatives to current treatment plans are provided
- Promotes and monitors compliance for established drug therapy policies
- Coordinates with and refers to appropriate diagnosing providers when disease progression or events occur that are outside the CRH MH CPS provider SOP
- Identifies patients who may benefit from CMM through population management, team meetings, and/or huddles
- Documents appropriate subjective and objective information, as well as clinical interventions in the electronic medical record and in a timely, professional manner
- Reports and documents drug errors, adverse drug reactions, and allergies according to policy
- Conducts drug utilization reviews, quality assurance activities, and utilization reviews as required
- Collaborates in the development and maintenance of policies and procedures defining operational requirements for the CRH pharmacy program
- Completes administrative projects and reports in a timely manner
- Adheres to and ensures the CRH pharmacy program is compliant with all regulatory and accrediting body requirements, as well as CRH related policies and procedures
- Assists in the training for new CRH staff, competency assessments, and mentoring as requested
- Serves as a preceptor for pharmacy students and pharmacy residents in accordance with established policies
- Responsible for keeping abreast of changes in the Pharmacy Benefits Management (PBM), CPPO, and PBM Formulary services (e.g., formulary additions and deletions, relevant memoranda, and policies and procedures), as well as general knowledge of VA, Drug Enforcement Administration, US Food and Drug Administration, and The Joint Commission regulations
- Prepares and presents educational lectures to a variety of disciplines as required
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
This announcement is currently open to Current, Permanent VACT Employees and Current, Permanent VA Nationwide Employees. If you are a Current, Permanent Other Federal Agency Employee or a US Citizen please apply to Job Announcement # CBTD-10726056-20-EF
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.