Responsible for the coordination of permitting, inspections and certain land use cases with other staff, departments and technical consultants. Assist in code enforcement as related to the Inspection Services Department. This position also provides assistance to the Department of Public Works and Clerk-Treasurer's Office. This position will assist in the Clerk-Treasurer's office with processing numerous financial transactions, courteously greeting and handling telephone and over the counter callers and other related duties. Responsible for assisting customers (via phone and in person at Village Hall) with inquiries regarding the Department of Public Works. Provide general administrative support to the Department of Public Works.
All positions in the Village of Greendale will be filled according to the Equal Rights Act with no discrimination shown on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, or disability.Examples of Duties / Knowledge & Skills
Essential functions include, but are not limited to:
- Performs general administrative duties such as typing, filing, word processing, spreadsheets, and data entry and data retrieval in the Clerk-Treasurer, Department of Public Works and Inspection Services Departments.
- Assists in reviewing permit applications for conformance to applicable regulations.
- Assists in receiving and acting on zoning and nuisance complaints including any required investigations, a written notice and for maintaining a log with status of each complaint.
- Makes interpretations of ordinance provisions under general supervision of the Director.
- Responsible for permit application intake process and the coordination of inspections in the Inspection Services Department.
- Works with other governmental agencies to assist citizens in obtaining permit approvals from these agencies in conjunction with Department permitting process.
- Responsible for the coordination of permitting and certain land use cases with other staff, departments and technical consultants.
- Responds to citizen complaints and undertakes enforcement actions in consultation with the Director.
- Maintains the permit records and database, and other periodic reports and handouts.
- Assists customers regarding questions and concerns regarding the Department of Public Works.
- Responsible for responding to inquiries by phone and in writing.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- High School Diploma required; An Associate degree or higher in Accounting or Building Construction related field preferred.
- Experience involving computer recording keeping; and evidence of training and experience in office procedures, word processing, cash management and cashier operations, and spreadsheet applications, is required.
- Experience with building inspection permitting processes preferred.
- Must be at least 18 years of age, a citizen of the United States, and possess a valid Wisconsin driver's license with a satisfactory driving record.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Well-developed communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Working knowledge of accounting principles and practices, governmental or utility desired.
- Working knowledge of municipal code enforcement methods and practices.
- Working knowledge of construction trades and practices.
- Ability to perform arithmetic computations accurately and quickly.
- Ability to manage time well, be highly organized, and plan work assignments effectively to maintain a smooth flow of record keeping and information processing.
- Ability to use modern office technology, including a personal computer.
- Knowledge and ability to work with software related to accomplishing the accounting functions, including spreadsheets and various computer applications.
- Ability to establish successful working relationships.
PHYSICAL AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical and work environment described is representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
Work is performed in an office setting. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate various pieces of office equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include vision and the ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to:
- Stand, walk, sit, stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl
- Climb, balance, bend, twist, reach and maneuver through unpleasant construction site conditions.
- Feel, talk and hear (normal range in normal office environment, corrected or uncorrected)
- Lift, carry, push/pull up to 25 pounds
- Work under time pressures such as frequent "rush" jobs, urgent deadlines, etc.
- Work under distractions such as telephone calls and other disturbances.
- Perform repetitive activities (calculating, keyboarding, and writing).
- Encounter unpleasant social situations (dealing with irate or disturbed individuals).
The Village of Greendale offers a wide variety of benefits to full-time employees including health, dental and life insurance, WisconsinRetirement System, deferred compensation, sick days, holidays and vacation time.