Supervises and participates in the review and processing of complex plans and specifications for buildings and other structures for compliance with provisions of the Building Code; or regularly and primarily performs the most difficult and complex reviews applicable to the above; and performs other related duties as required.
One (1) immediate permanent full-time vacancy with the Department of Public Works - Building Divisionin Hilo.
The eligible list may be used for other permanent and temporary Building Plans Examiner vacancies as they arise during the life of the list. Temporary appointment may lead to conversion to permanent appointment.Examples of Duties
- Plans, assigns, and supervises the review and processing of complex building plans and specifications submitted by private architects, engineers, and contractors for compliance with the provisions of the Building Code.
- Supervises and participates in the checking of plans and specifications for requirements such as location of building and property, type of construction allowed, existing facilities, sanitation and ventilation facilities, fire extinguishing systems, etc.
- Checks detailed drawings on foundations, structural framework, exterior walls and openings, floors, stairways and roofs for compliance with minimum requirements as to size, thickness, and quality of materials used.
- Coordinates plan reviews with other sections, departments, and governmental agencies.
- Checks for special provisions on height, location, and materials used on buildings located in the County's fire zones.
- Meets with architects, engineers, designers, contractors, and homeowners regarding their building plans and structures.
- Approves building permit applications for single and multi-storied residential and commercial structures.
- Plans, assigns, and reviews the work of subordinates engaged in building plan reviews; resolves differences between subordinates and the public.
- Provides information, technical advice, and guidance in matters regarding building plan reviews, interpretation, permitting, and code enforcement; assists building inspectors in resolving problems.
- Keeps informed of applicable changes in codes, laws, regulations, and policies of the division and department; informs subordinates of the same.
- Reviews and recommends amendments to provisions of the Building Code as necessary; reviews and recommends new or amended operational policies, procedures, and standards; orients and trains new employees.
- Participates in investigations of new building construction and existing buildings for compliance with building codes.
- Prepares and maintains files on correspondences, records, and reports.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Training and Experience:
A combination of education and experience substantially equivalent to:
- graduation from high school, and
- five (5) years of experience in reviewing building plans and specifications for compliance with provisions of laws, codes, and ordinances, and
- possession of a valid State of Hawai`i driver's license (Class 3) or other comparable driver's license at time of filing. (You will be required to submit your valid driver's license at time of the job interview.)
Examination:All applicants who meet the minimum qualification requirements will be assigned a score of 70 points.An education and experience evaluation will be conducted based on the applicant's training, education and experience as presented in the application.
Please read the minimum qualification requirements carefully.Be certain to list all pertinent training and experience, as this may be important in determining your examination score. It is essential that the applicant describe fully the duties and responsibilities of eachposition held, specify the date of eachposition held (from and to, month and year), and indicate the number of hours worked per week.
Attach all required documentation (e.g. official transcript, professional license(s)/certification(s), DD-214, etc.) at the time of submitting your application.
Note:In-person interviews and/or further testing in Hawai'i County may be required at the discretion of the hiring department/agency. If in-person interviews and/or further testing are required, applicants who are referred to the hiring department/agency must be available to participate in person and at their own expense at that phase of the selection process.
Knowledge of: building codes and ordinances of the County of Hawai`i; procedures involved in processing building permit applications; basic principles of building design; construction and engineering terminology; standard practices, methods, and materials in building construction and safety; legal procedures involved in enforcing building codes.
Ability to: plan, assign, and coordinate the work of subordinates; interpret and apply provisions of the Building Code; read and understand complex building plans and specifications; explain laws, regulations, and procedures involved in processing building permit applications; deal tactfully and effectively with subordinates and the public; maintain records and prepare reports; give oral and written instructions.
Physical Requirements: Persons seeking appointment to positions in this class must meet the health and physical condition standards deemed necessary and proper to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.
Physical Effort Grouping: LightSupplemental Information
For designated jobs which require:
- an official college transcript,
- a valid driver's license,
- a temporary assignment verification,
- professional licenses, and/or
please scan and attach these supporting documents to your on-line application.Veterans applying for veteran's preference points shall also scan and attach their DD-214 form and as needed, their VA claim letter to the on-line application.
ELECTRONIC NOTIFICATION TO APPLICANTS:
Please ensure that the email address and contact information you provide is current, secure, and readily accessible to you. We will not be responsible in any way if you do not receive our emails or fail to check your email box orNEOGOVaccount INBOX in a timely manner. Checking yourNEOGOVaccount INBOX daily is recommended and is the most secure method to check on notices sent to you. This is a new feature created by our vendor,NEOGOV.
Please [email protected]to your contact list. Open yourNEOGOVaccount using your user name and password. In the upper right hand corner of the account is your name, and under your name, click on INBOX to view all notices sent you. The notices will appear here in the INBOX even in the event you don't receive it on your cell phone, computer, or other electronic device. This is the best way to check and view all notices sent to you.
Employee benefits are generally for full-time permanent employment and include the following from the date of hire:
* sick leave and vacation earnings
* paid holidays
* social security
* credit union membership
* life, dental, medical, vision, and prescription
drug insurance plans
* employee-employer paid retirement plan
* flexible spending plan
* tax-sheltered savings and investment program
* mortgage loans through the State Employees'
* career opportunity and mobility in a merit system for
civil service positions
Persons who are hired may be required to pay union dues/service fees.
Benefits for part-time employment is based on hours worked and type of appointment.
Benefits are subject to change due to legislative, collective bargaining negotiation, and other changes.
When applying for this position, I understand that I must thoroughly complete the Education and Work Experience Sections of my application and the Supplemental Questions. This includes a detailed description of each position that I feel qualifies me for the job I am seeking.
I have read the above statement and understand that failure to provide sufficient detailed information may result in my application being rejected or my receiving a lower examination score. I also understand that I may not submit resumes in lieu of filling out the application or answering the Supplemental Questions. However, I may attach a resume to the application to provide additional information.
- I acknowledge that I have read and understand the above information.
Note: Calculation of experience is based on full-time, 40-hour work weeks. Part-time experience must be pro-rated. Example: Twelve months of experience at 20 hours per week is equivalent to six months of experience. In addition, hours worked in excess of 40 hours per week, per work experience, will not be credited. Example: Twelve months of experience at 60 hours per week is equivalent to one year, not one and one-half years.
- I acknowledge that I have read and understand the above information.
A. Employer's name
B. Your job title
C. Specific dates of employment (from month/day/year to month/day/year)
D. Hours worked per week
E. Your duties in reviewing building plans and specifications for compliance with provisions of laws, codes, and ordinances
F. The percentage of time you spent performing these duties
If you answered "No," enter N/A.
Be specific and complete ALL questions for ALL experience you are claiming. The following are unacceptable responses:
- See above
- Refer to resume
- See attached
* Required Question