Please note the advertised salary reflects 2018 rates. The salary range for this position is anticipated to be adjusted upwards in 2019 pending labor contract ratification.
Metro Transit's new Capital Planning section has an exciting opportunity for an experienced administrative professional with a passion for helping new teams come together. The Administrator I will play a key role integrating work groups from across Transit into a cohesive, smoothly operating whole. The successful candidate will have experience instituting standard processes, establishing a rhythm of business, and will be comfortable managing ambiguity and multiple competing priorities. If you want to see your skills make an immediate impact on a group performing critical work to improve transit service across King County, now is the time to apply!
Who may apply: This position is open to the public and King County employees.
Vacancy Information: This recruitment will be used to fill one current career service vacancy.
Forms and materials required: Applicants for this position are required to submit the complete online application form, supplemental questions, and a cover letter detailing how you meet and/or exceed the requirements of the position. The cover letter should highlight your experience establishing administrative processes and procedures to help a new or changing team perform more effectively.All materials must be included for your application to be considered.
Work location: The current vacancy is located at King Street Center, 201 S. Jackson Street, Seattle WA 98104.
Work schedule: This non-exempt position is overtime eligible, with prior supervisor approval. Typical work hours are between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Alternative work schedules may be discussed.
An Employer To Be Proud Of
King County Metro Transit is a regional leader in helping people move quickly throughout the region,reducing commuter stress, greening the environment and radically improving urban air quality, by providing comfortable, effective transit services for the thousands of commuters and other residents of King County, Washington. Working for Metro means working for a leader in this nation's public transportation industry.
King County provides our employees with a free transportation pass (good on Metro, Pierce, Community and Sound Transit) and a generous benefits package, (see Benefits tab for more details).
For more information regarding this recruitment, please contact:
Sr. Human Resource Analyst
- Proactively manage the Capital Planning section manager's calendar and assist in tracking appointments. Organize and schedule various meetings on behalf of the manager; sometimes ensuring facility reservations, materials development, and needed equipment.
- Work with Capital Planning leadership to establish standard processes and rhythm of business, including staff meetings, records management systems, and channels for team communication.
- Research, interpret, analyze and provide guidance to Capital Planning leadership and staff on Division and Department administrative policies and procedures.
- Support Capital Planning personnel activities including hiring, talent movement, on-boarding and position management.
- Draft, edit and proofread a variety of documents; including correspondence, reports, technical specifications, agendas, minutes of meetings, contracts, memoranda, legislation, and other written materials.
- Develop and oversee project tracking systems, revise systems as necessary, providing transparency to project milestones and deliverable deadlines.
- Assist to create, design/redesign and maintain complex databases.
- Manage Capital Planning section payroll and accounts payable operations; including accurate budget charge coding and tracking by project; budget charge reconciliation for multiple projects in Oracle.
- Screen telephone calls and visitors for the Capital Planning section manager; receive complaints and requests and handle or route them for necessary action; disseminate information requiring judgment, knowledge and interpretation of departmental resources, procedures and regulations.
- Analyze budget expenditures in the financial system, make recommendations for efficiencies and reconcile discrepancies. Work closely with Budget and Finance Officers to ensure accuracy.
- Serve as liaison between the Capital Planning section manager and internal and external groups or individuals.
- Coordinate, provide support and backup to work performed byother Capital Planning administrative staff.
- Prepare forms required for personnel transactions, requisition forms, purchase orders, and expense reports.
- Maintain policies and procedures in coordination with King County and the Department.
- Organize travel and training.
- Order supplies and maintain supplies inventory, such as paper, printer cartridges, etc; maintains office equipment including contractor coordination when needed for repairs or replacement.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- At least Three (3) years of senior level secretarial or administrative support experience OR any equivalent combination of experience and education which provides the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge and ability required to perform the work.
Additional requirements include:
- Experience coordinating and monitoring the work of others.
- Knowledge of electronic payroll processing operations and associated legal requirements.
- Ability to compose, proofread, and edit written materials according to the principles of good business writing to include skill in proofing and formatting documents, charts, graphs, and tables.
- Knowledge of office management best practices; knowledge of filing systems and the skills to maintain them.
- Knowledge of financial principles and best practices.
- Ability to maintain current knowledge of the department's functions, goals, major projects, policies and procedures governing work performed.
- Skill in developing, managing and maintaining accurate and complex databases; knowledge of computerized record-keeping systems.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Windows applications: Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, public and private sector officials, and the general public; ability to deal with others with tact, diplomacy, and courtesy.
- Demonstrated ability to propose, develop and implement administrative process improvements.
- Demonstrated ability to be detail-oriented, organized, and use initiative to solve problems.
- Ability to multi-task with frequent interruptions and produce under tight or shifting deadlines.
- Ability to work under pressure sensitively and effectively with a diverse workforce and clientele.
- Ability to use initiative and exercise good judgment to prioritize and handle sensitive or confidential requests and inquiries; ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Ability to understand and execute complex oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work independently on assigned tasks with minimal or no guidance.
- Ability to operate and troubleshoot standard office equipment.
- Proficiency with Microsoft SharePoint.
- Proficiency with Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft or other similar payroll and time-keeping software.
- Knowledge of Oracle or other similar financial software.
- Knowledge of Laserfiche or equivalent electronic filing system.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Visio.
Selection Process: Applications will be screened for clarity, completeness, and qualifications. All applications will be evaluated for spelling, grammar and punctuation.All application materials must be included to be considered. Please include your cover letter. The most competitive candidates may be invited to participate in a skill assessment and a panel interview process. Employment offers will be finalized only after candidates have successfully completed reference checks.
Union Representation: Union representation for this position is under determination.
Class Code: Administrator I- 2810100.
King County Metro Transit is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer, and values diverse perspectives,life experiences, and differences.We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, people of all ages, and veterans. We are committed to being equitable and fair in providing equal access to opportunities for all.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package to all eligible employees. These benefitsinclude county-wide paid medical, dental and vision coverage for yourself and all eligible dependents (spouse/state-registered domestic partner and children) who you enroll. Benefiteligiblepositions include-- Career Service, Career Service Exempt, provisionaland term-limited temporary (TLT) employees working 20 hours/week or the equivalent of half-time or greater. These benefits become effective on the first calendar day of the month following the month in which the employee is hired; except if the employee's hire date is the first calendar day of the month, benefits begins on the day of hire.
More information about employee benefits is available on the county's website at: http://www.kingcounty.gov/employees/benefits.aspx
County Paid Benefits Include:
- Health Insurance (choice of several plans)
- Dental Plan
- Vision Plan
- Life Insurance -- lump sum equal to annual base salary
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment (basic and enhanced)
- Basic Long Term Disability (LTD) -- replaces 60% of earnings after 180-day waiting period
- Bus pass and other alternative transportation incentives
- Employee Assistance Program
- Making Life Easier Program
Retirement: Employees are covered under retirement plans provided through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and are covered by Social Security.
Hire date through end of year 5: accrual at 12 days per year (available after
first 6 months of employment)
- Beginning of year 6: accrual at 15 days per year
- Beginning of year 9: accrual at 16 days per year
- Beginning of year 11: accrual at 20 days per year
- Beginning of year 17: accrual at 21 days per year
- Beginning of year 18: accrual at 22 days per year
- Beginning of year 19: accrual at 23 days per year
- Beginning of year 20: accrual at 24 days per year
- Beginning of year 21: accrual at 25 days per year
- Beginning of year 22: accrual at 26 days per year
- Beginning of year 23: accrual at 27 days per year
- Beginning of year 24: accrual at 28 days per year
- Beginning of year 25: accrual at 29 days per year
- Beginning of year 26: accrual at 30 days per year
- Bereavement Leave (up to 3 days/year)
- Military Leave
- Family Medical Leave
- King County Medical Leave
- Jury Duty Leave
- Organ Donor Leave
- Executive Leave (for eligible FLSA-exempt employees)
- Deferred Compensation Plan (no employer match) IRS 457 Plan
- Enhanced Long Term Disability -- reduce waiting period/increase monthly
- Additional Life Insurance -- 1 to 4 times your base annual salary for yourself and 50% of your enhanced amount for your spouse/domestic partner; and $10,000 for each child
- Additional Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage for employee and family
- Credit Union membership
- Flexible Spending Accounts ? Health and Dependent Care
- HRA Voluntary Employee Beneficiary Association (VEBA) Trust upon retirement
NOTE: This is a general description of the benefits offered through employment with King County, and every effort has been made to ensure its
accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs or official plan documents will prevail.
- Completed education history
- Detailed description of each position that you have held in the last ten years. Please list gaps in employment and reason.
- Reason for leaving employers, (in cases of termination, state why you were terminated)
- Supervisor Name
- Employer phone number
- Less than three years
- Three to four years
- Five years or more
- MS Word
- MS Excel
- MS Outlook
- MS PowerPoint
- Oracle or similar financial accounting software
- PeopleSoft or similar payroll and time-keeping software
- Laserfiche or equivalent electronic filing system
- Microsoft Visio
* Required Question