Recruitment Range: $31,200 - $44,090
The NC Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services provide services that promote and improve agriculture, agribusiness and forests; protect consumers and businesses; and conserve farmland and natural resources for the prosperity of all North Carolinians. The Department employs approximately 2000 employees.
This position is located in the Food & Drug Protection Division. The Food & Drug Protection Division has five functioning sections, including the Food Section, the Dairy Section, the Feed Section, the Drug Section, and the Administrative Services Section. In addition, analytical support is provided to the Food & Feed Sections by the Food & Drug Protection Division's six laboratory branches, i.e. Feed Laboratory, Fertilizer Laboratory, Food Laboratory, Microbiology Laboratory, Residue Laboratory, and Pesticide Formulations Laboratory. The Division protects the health, welfare, and economic interests of consumers of foods, drugs, livestock feeds, fertilizers, and medical devices by ensuring, thorough inspections and analysis, that these products are wholesome and properly labeled.
The primary purpose of this position is to serve as receptionist for the Food and Drug Protection Division of the NCDA&CS and positively represent the Agency to anyone who calls or visits. This position is often the initial point of contact and must provide exceptional service in response to the caller or visitor's needs in a professional manner. This position must be knowledgeable in the division's purpose, how work is accomplished and which responsibilities each staff member holds. This knowledge is critical for this position to direct and refer incoming calls and visitors to the proper person. This position must be knowledgeable about the work performed in other state labs and offices and able to direct calls appropriately. Excellent phone etiquette and a welcoming demeanor is needed to communicate effectively with internal and external calls and visitors. This position provides administrative support to other sections and serves as backup to the Administrative Specialist in purchasing for the division. These responsibilities include keying requisitions and repair requests into the e-procurement system. This position also receives and distributes incoming mail for the division.
Work hours are from8:00 am ? 5:00 pm daily.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies
- Ability to answer the phones and greet visitors in a professional and courteous manner while multi-tasking (i.e. data entry, filing) and quickly switching focus to handle immediate needs without frustration
- Ability to demonstrate excellent listening skills and respond to phone calls by gaining an understanding of the caller's need, deescalating frustrations, and solving problems. This position will ensure caller is connected with appropriate department or individual to handle the call.
- Ability to politely ask questions, and follow up questions, to ensure callers and visitors are directed appropriately and expeditiously.
- Ability to communicate in person, over the phone, and over the PA system in a professional, calming and warm manner.
- Ability to use welcoming speaking tones with callers.
- Ability to maintain composure with high pressure, and time sensitive situations.
- Ability to learn detailed information about the Food and Drug Division, NCDA&CS and other state labs and offices to transfer calls to appropriate individuals and/or agencies.
- Ability to receive all visitors in a professional manner, following security protocol, such as "check-in/check-out" log and issuing badges.
- Ability to assist with organizing and communicating outreach events or special activities as needed.
- Ability to perform filing duties, maintain confidentiality and follow purging procedures in accordance with division policy.
- Thorough knowledge of basic computer and clerical skills.
- Experience with a web-based procurement/purchasing system.
High school or General Educational Development (GED) diploma and one year of administrative experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.Supplemental and Contact Information
Any employment offer may be less than the maximum of the range due to salary equity with similarly situated employees or the selected candidate's related education and experience.
Please follow instructions to apply on-line. It is important that your application includes all of your relevant education and experience.Text or attached resumes ARE NOT accepted as a substitution for a completed application. Those applicants seeking veteran's preference should submit a copy of their Form DD-214.
All Law Enforcement positions and positions requiring a Pilot's License or a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) shall be subject to pre-employment drug testing. All positions requiring a Commercial Driver's License shall also be subject to pre-employment DMV physicals.Selected applicants must obtain a U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) medical certificate prior to employment. If a CDL is listed as a preference and the selected applicant has a CDL at the time of hire then the CDL will become a requirement for the position.
**Note: When required, you must answer the question(s) for this position or your application will be considered incomplete. **
Questions regarding this posting? Contact 919-707-3201.
For permanent appointments:
State of North Carolina employees have the opportunity to participate in a compelling array of benefits to enhance their quality of life, their health, andtheir future. Benefits includeemployee health insurance options, standard and supplemental retirement plans, NC Flex (a variety of high-quality, low cost benefits on a pre-tax basis), and paid vacation, sick, and community service leave,to name a few. Some benefits require 30 + hours work/weekfor participation. To find out about these, andotherprograms, please visit our Employee Benefits page:
For temporary, contractor other supplemental staffing appointments:
**There are no paid leave, retirement or other benefits associated with these appointment types.**
* Required Question