Performs a variety of specialized utility customer service functions relative to area of assignment including customer service (telephone and in person), billing, cash posting, , and/or general data entry; posts routine utility billing journals and/or miscellaneous transactions ; generates and/or prepares utility billing l reports; conducts administrative duties in support of departmental operations; and performs other related duties.
- Performs a variety of accounts payable duties:
- Receives and enters data into the City utility billing software in preparation for weekly billing, delinquency and disconnection runs.
- Reconciles billing (e-billing) and delinquent files; monitors utility accounts; issues adjustments as required.
- Prepares billing and delinquent account journals, posts journal.
- Creates, updates, and maintains customer accounts.
- Handles utility customer calls.
- Generates customer letters concerning rate changes, back billing or credits, Contacts customers telephone/email regarding billing/accounts issues.
- Verifies account charges for accuracy; identifies and resolves account discrepancies.
- Updates and maintains billing files.
- Backup online payment transfers; verifies lock-box and ACH transfer files.
- Prepares miscellaneous extra charge/adjustment journal entries and reconciles accounts.
- Compiles statistical and/or billing l data; prepares or generates various types of billing reports.
- Performs data entry; creates, updates, and maintains utility accounts and billing files for area of assignment.
- Coordinates and conducts special projects as required.
- Provides general clerical support.
- Performs other routine and/or specialized duties relative to area of assignment as assigned.
- This position works under general supervision.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Salary is dependent upon qualifications)
- High School Diploma or equivalent is required.
- Two (2) years customer service ? billing or closely related experience is required;
- Depending on area of assignment, a valid Texas Driver's License with an acceptable driving record may be required.
CORE COMPETENCIES AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Must be able to read and comprehend departmental policies, procedure manuals, and accounting documentation relative to area of assignment.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills are required; must be able to maintain positive working relationships with City departments and personnel, outside agencies, vendors, customers, and local businesses.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
Physical requirements include lifting up to 45 pounds rarely. Subject to sitting and vision constantly; handling, fine dexterity, hearing and talking frequently; standing, walking, lifting, carrying, pushing/pulling, reaching, climbing, balancing and foot controls occasionally; bending and twisting rarely.
Working conditions involves occasional exposure to infectious diseases when interacting with the public.
8 a.m. ? 5 p.m., M-F
The City of San Marcos offers its employees a broad range of benefits to enhance their personal and occupational lives. We are committed to a total rewards strategy that provides employees with competitive compensation, comprehensive benefits, and an environment that supports a healthy work/life balance.
Medical, Dental & Vision Coverage
- United Healthcare
- Choice Plus PPO Plan
- Prescription Drug Plan
- Wellness Initiatives
- Virtual Doctor Visits 24/7
- Dental Plan
- Davis Vision Insurance
- Base Vision Plan
- Premium Vision Plan
- Laser Vision Correction discounts
- Texas MunicipalRetirement System (TMRS)
- ICMA-Retirement Corporation - optional 457-deferred compensation plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- City paid Life and AD&D Insurance
- Voluntary Life, AD&D and Long Term Disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Medical Concierge Service
- Sick Leave
- Longevity Pay
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Activity Center Membership
- Direct Deposit
* Required Question